Quick change of subject. Last summer I was made aware of a horrific situation facing a former student and family. It's heart-wrenching and painful and not a day goes by that I don't think about what they're going through. I've been keeping in touch with the mom but have felt so powerless to help. The details are much too painful and personal to share here especially considering that many in their community frequent our blog but suffice it to say that they are in dire straits emotionally but most pressingly, financially Last night I was feeling particularly down about their situation. And increasingly helpless. This morning I woke up still struggling with the question that I know so many of us have when we hear of horrible things in the world, "what can I do?" And then I think my Big Give light bulb went on.
Here's the deal.
My actions are free. They've always been free. They always will be free. I hope you like them. I hope they work for you. If you've downloaded them in the past and have enjoyed them I'd like for you to consider contributing to thepigbear's big give. I won't even make a number suggestion because that might suggest that they're not free. MY ACTIONS ARE STILL FREE. Period. Take, use, give if you want, don't if you can't. 100% of the money deposited into my paypal account in the next two weeks will be bundled up and sent via check to this family in need. I hope you feel you know me well enough by now to trust that I won't be sporting new 7 For All Mankind jeans next week.
To kick off this campaign Jeanelle has again generously agreed to host a few new actions for me. For now these only work with full photoshop but I promise to work in the coming days to figure out something for you elements users. These actions resize and sharpen your photos beautifully for display on the web. There are three in the set: a horizontal action, a vertical action, and a third resize and sharpen action that the other two will call...you shouldn't ever have to touch this one yourself unless you just want to play.
So your web-posted photos will go from this...

To this... (click on the images to get the full effect)

Again, please feel free to download even if you can't or don't want to contribute. This is a sharing place and will continue to be so.
For contributions to this family in need log in to paypal and send donations to
erkatco at yahoo.com.
14 comments:
Your proud mama here. I hope your readers come through for this family. I know they need the help. I love you.
Yes I watch Oprah, she rocks but YOU ROCK even more! I love this ideas!! Amy T.
i LOVE OpraH!!!
and i really want to help, but i am donating to someone else at 2peas this week to help buy a camera for someone. i promise before the 2 weeks is up, i will send something via paypal though! when my dh gets paid again! what a great person you are to help someone out!!!!!!! GOD bless yOU!and your actions are awesome! i have used them often! you deserve to get paid for them anyway!
tara
DONE! I just wish it were more.... :)
Erin, once again your giving spirit shines through. You are awesome and I'm praying for that family!
What a great way to get us in blogland to donate. Great idea. And you have money from me!
This is very kind of you to do this. I know we just "met" this week, but I wanted to help out with what I can. It isn't much (we are getting ready to move out of state in 2 months)but I couldn't NOT help.
So awesome of you to help others!
You rock!
I hit you up on Paypal last nite, and remember, it's under my alias!
Gladly! I only wish I could give more. Thanks so much for everything!
Just contributed to Idol Gives Back, but will gladly contribute here too. You are so awesome to think of this!!
I will definitely give as soon as I get my pay check next week.
As a recent recipient of some AMAZING help via blogging, I had to pay it forward! Many generous souls--some who only know our family through my blog--have reached out to us since my husband's cancer diagnosis in February. It has been humbling but mostly INSPIRING! I am learning how to be a more generous person. And while I am currently strapped of a lot of resources from taking care of our family, I am trying to find little ways to help others. And when Clayton is in remission we have vowed to give back to others in BIG ways.
Erin, your friends are going to be so blessed by what you are doing.
Wow Angela, your comment gave me warm shivers. Thank you for being involved in this effort (I just got your gift). Many, many prayers for your husband's swift and full recovery. Keep up that healthy cooking girl! :)
Wow!
You are doing an amazing thing! Thank you for sharing your actions! I'm excited to try them out!
Cheers,
jewels
Post a Comment