Okay, daily chores. Here's the thing, I refuse to do housework when my kiddos are napping. Especially now that there's two of them and there's a business to run naptime is absolutely sacred. I decided early on that I could easily still spend time with them when they were awake while still getting all the things that needed to be done, done. (does a comma go there? who knows.) So here are some hints for how it works in our house...
1. cleaning. Now that Sarah is at an age where she can really help with some of the cleaning I've finally made the switch to safer, healthier cleaning products. For now I'm making my own but if anyone is interested in safe alternatives that aren't homemade check out Shaklee products. My friend Janelle just started selling them and she's super-excited about them. SO. Back to the original point. Now that Sarah is old enough and our cleaning supplies are safe enough she loves helping me wipe off the spray on the kitchen counters, living room furniture, windows, etc. It may take a few extra paper towels this way but it keeps her occupied and teaches her a lifelong skill. I'm all about that.
2. cooking. A few months back Sarah was obsessed with helping me make dinner every night. She wanted to "put eeeeverything in" as I mixed, chopped, and sauteed. Her interest has waned a bit now that she's realized that onions will occasionally burn your eyes. She won't set foot anywhere near the kitchen if she thinks onions are being prepared. If it's onion-less though she's still all about it. There are lots and lots of things little ones can do in the kitchen as you're preparing meals, just be sure that you've taught them some safety basics first. Some of ours include, "don't touch the cutting board while mommy is cutting", "don't ever reach on top of the oven", "always wash your hands first", and "always ask if something is hot before touching". I've found that the best use for her little helping hands is washing vegetables and dumping cut veggies or other ingredients into pans or bowls. She'll often just sit right on the counter but more often than not she's standing next to me on the best stepstool ever made.
3. laundry. Sarah has been helping fold the laundry since she was a baby baby. There must be something about the flash of colors, the clean smell, and the warm fluffiness that makes every baby happy. Ephraim loves it too. Often I'll dump the laundry on them and then fold from there. They have fun playing in it and Sarah enjoys finding her things. Starting when she was around 18 months I started asking her to put some of her clothes in her drawers. I'd give her a little stack and tell her where to put it. I'm not super-anal about how the drawers look for the kiddos as long as things are in the right place so it always worked out. Fairly often now she'll find her own stacks and put them away herself.
4. diapers. Because washing diapers, folding diapers, and making wipes is an activity that occurs around here every few days they're very into it. Sarah has always loved gathering the wipes and helping me fold them into the box. Pouring the soap solution is now her new favorite thing. She's pretty good at it too!
5. grocery shopping. If I truly has my choice I'd probably do this on my own but I don't want to waste weekend family time shopping so I take the kiddos with me. It's definitely a hassle but I think it's a vocabulary goldmine for little ones. I know the other shoppers think I'm crazy talking to my babies about every little thing that goes into the cart but the kids love it and so do I. Sarah can identify pretty much everything in the produce section and tell you if we need it or not. The more they're engaged in the shopping experience the better behaved they are too. That's a plus. Oh, and on shopping day (Thursday) Sarah always helps me make the grocery list and pick what's for dinner that night.
6. yardwork. Brent is pretty much a genius in this area when it comes to getting Sarah active in the outdoor work. Just today as we walked to the car she told me that yesterday she helped daddy cut the roses. Her favorite activity is to gather up the weeds from the sidewalk as we're pulling them up...she tosses them in her shopping cart and pretends she's doing the grocery shopping. When she's done all the weeds are gathered and we just dump them into the trash. Perfect!
Okay, that's all I can think of for now. I can't wait to get some ideas from you guys. I always walk away from Mama Mondays so inspired!

Buddy Posters:
Kristin - awesome chore charts for older kids
12 comments:
My Eleanor (20 months) is great at putting things away, especially her toys and Mommy's shoes. She also loves picking up dirty (or clean!) clothes and putting them in the hamper, which keeps me from leaving clothes lying around. She's also very good at using a feather duster to dust EVERYTHING! :)
Love your ideas - especially the safer cleaning products!
My kids have always loved to help out and for the most part I let them help with practically anything (provided it's safe).
One thing I did this year (and likely could have implemented sooner) was giving my 5 year old her own chore chart that hangs inside her closet. I made it on the computer, laminated it and gave her a dry-erase pen to keep safely tucked away in her room. Now she gets herself ready for school in the morning and it has lifted some of the stress of making sure everything and everyone is ready so we can get out the door and get her to school.
It's a simple chart (eat breakfast, get dressed, wash face, brush teeth, fix hair, make bed)and of course I help her with most of it, but she knows now she can't color, play dolls, etc. until her list is all checked off. And BONUS, her brother (who isn't in school yet) is all about it too! It's given them both a feeling of independence and given me some time to get myself ready (and not run around like crazed lunatic. except for on Monday, Mondays are always crazy for some reason, list or not, lol!)
Crissy
I taught my kids from the time they were toddlers that toys get picked up before bed and that clothes go in the hamper - they're both great at that even though they're now 18 and 12. My oldest use to love to help when he was little, but outgrew that by the time he was about 4. I don't mind cleaning, so with the boys I basically concentrated on generally keeping things picked up or put back when they're done with it.
Teeghun loves to make his bed in the morning, he is two, so that translates to putting all stuffed animals and blankets back on the bed that he kicked off during the night. He also takes his jammies and puts them in the hamper each morning. He gets upset if I don't let him do that.
He also helps with the laundry, he sits on the dryer and tosses the clothes in the washer and then takes them from the washer and tosses them into the dryer and SLAMS the dryer door!!
He also loves to swiffer (both dry sweeper and wet mopping) and uses a feather duster like no other two year old I have seen.
TRASH DAY, heaven forbid we collect the trash from all trash cans in the house. That is soooo his job and then he watches for the trash truck to take the trash "bye bye" on Tuesday mornings!!
So far that is about the extent of it...but I am pleased with that at two years of age.
I'm so curious about making your own safe cleaning supplies! What do you use, vinegar?? Ryan loves/wants to help with EVERYTHING, but I tend to clean while he's busy with Daddy because of fumes, etc. I'm waiting until we run out of what we have before I replace it with "green" cleaning supplies, but making my own sounds even better!
He HATES picking up his toys, though. I know he has to help clean up at daycare, so I'm not sure why he is so resistant at home. He'll just flat out say No when I tell him to pick up his blocks or whatever. Is this just a two-year-old thing, or am I not firm enough? The boy does love to Swiffer, though! And help me cook everything. But his favorite thing is helping out in the yard...especially in our vegetable garden! Such a great project for kids! He loves picking green beans and running up to the back door to give them to me to use for dinner that night!
Thanks for another great topic, Erin!
My kids love my friends dust buster! I have to get one! Everyone waits their turn to use it and her house and car are all clean before we leave! Everyone from 18mo -9yrs sersously... wait to use it! While they wait their turn they are scanning the house for where they can suck up some dirt or crumbs. AND if someone get to their spot first you hear about it! It's funny!
We are big talkers too at the grocery store!
I definitely believe in teaching responsibility early--the kids put up their own plates (Juliet is better than Ashton), Ashton wields the dustbuster under the table after meals, and they put their dirty clothes in the hamper in the laundry room. Rooms have to be clean before bedtime, and toys need to be put up before new toys are brought out. I have my four-year-old making his bed--albeit not perfectly but that isn't the point. And he is proud of himself when I praise him for a job well done. Juliet is an excellent bean sorter--and Heaven knows we are eating a lot of beans around here!
Great post, Erin!
I wanted to do a buddy post but am knee deep in cleaning and getting ready to leave for 3 weeks!
I enjoy cleaning myself and though I've relaxed on always having a perfectly neat house, I won't sacrifice on the clean part. I bought little microfiber mitts that both the kids can used to dust with. They love it and what better way to get all the little places cleaned that little hands. I too am using up my "regular" cleaning supplies before switching to green so for cleaning of bathrooms and such I do that right now. I've have my eye on Shaklee products for a while now-I may need to contact your friend!
My daughter is nearly 7 so is a big help with cleaning. She is a lot like me at that age and really prefers a neat enviroment and does most things without being asked. My son who will be 4 next week is still learning but with help and lots of encouragement he's pretty good too. My trick with him is to sit and help or direct him. As he picks up five things I may pick up one. I've found if I just tell him to pick up the bedroom he's directionless and nothing gets done. I have to really remember he's not as old as my daughter and can't be expected to do things like a 7 year old! Ashley can now put up all her clothes and Colton can too with help from me.
The kids work best with a little reward such as "as soon as the playroom is clean I'll read you each a book, or you can play outside" This gets them motivated and the job is done quickly. I figure this teaches them "work before play".
Great ideas Erin and everyone! Caylin LOVES to help so she has been helping me do lots of things for a good while now and she's 2.5 years old. She loves to help put away things in her room (toys, books, etc). She folds all of the washcloths and puts lots of things in the trash - that's one of her favorite things to do. She is pretty good at picking up the toys she has played with when she's done and she loves helping me make the bed, etc.
I think one of her favorite things to help with is the laundry though. Besides folding washcloths she helps put all of the clothes into the dryer and puts in the fabric softner sheets. ;) She has this ball popper toy that she uses to "vacuum" when I do and that's cute. I think making the chores fun to do (like we sing songs, play music and dance) is an important thing and you can get things done around the house while spending good, quality time with your child. Love that. ;)
Thanks for all of the ideas! I'm curious how you make your own cleaning supplies! Is there nothing you don't do, girl? Do share! Thank you!
When my youngest kids (twins) were in Kindergarten (along with their big sister) I showed them how to separate light and dark clothes - now they do it daily when they take their clothes to the laundry room. Before bedtime we also make sure that everything is ready to go in the a.m. (backpacks, etc)
Mazie and Jamie love to help clean. They usually sing together which quite amusing. Mazie also likes to help out with the laundry. She understands the separating part and is pretty good at it. Jamie helps with the folding. I have to say that both of my girls are their best when they are helping. When they have little jobs to do, they can bicker or give attitude! I hope Jacob is the same when he gets a little older.
I put a short post on our blog, but since we have a little one who can't help with chores yet, I don't have any advice on getting them to help. The big thing for us is to invite people over regularly - then you have to clean the house for them!!!
Post a Comment