A conversation from this evening as Brent stands peering into the pantry:
B: Oh cool, you bought treats!
Me: I did?
B: Yeah, I see banana chips...and...uh...some other stuff...
Me: Really? Banana chips are a treat?
B: Well, when the alternative is some whole grain seed cracker things, yeah.
***
I keep insisting to Brent that when our kids are older this will be the hang out house. I want this to be the hangout house. When your house is the hangout house then you always know where your kids are and who they're spending time with, right?
He's quick to point out that we'll never be the hangout house with "treats" like ours.
I think he may be right.
11 comments:
I would hang out at your house and I would let my kids too!
well there is no reason your house can't be the hang out house and all those other kids can bring their own treats OR they can learn to love banana chips and nuts and whole grain crackers!!
hehe....i totally have to agree with Brent on this one. All the "cool" hang out houses had Mt. Dew, Lays, and frozen pizza rolls!
LOL! Growing up, those are the kinds of treats we had, too. Our friends would always jokingly complain about it when they were over. My dad used to joke that he was going to set up a pop machine in our basement, and charge our friends 50 cents for a can pop. If they wanted it badly enough, they'd pay. I think he was probably on to something there.
See... the house we all went to as teenagers had only "good for you food"... we loved it. My friends mom would make us fresh food all the time! They had a garden and she'd make us all sorts of yummy veggies and dips, We loved it. And we had fun stuff like nachos, but with healthy toppings. We sucked down tons of different lemonades! Fresh squeezed mint lemonade! Yumm!
I know it took her lots of time to prepare all the stuff she fed us but, it was her way of loving us and we really did feel loved.
And now that I sound like a total nerd...
I like the last comment! I want to hang out at the house with the veggies and dips and nachos and lemonade.
Either way, Erin, your kids will learn good eating habits early - I shudder to think what kinds of processing our world can come up with between now and then.
you are hilarious. i love this!
everyone wants to be the hangout house - unfortunately our friends up the street built a treehouse. so i think we're out, too. we have oreos, tho.
When I was growing up the favorite dad on the block worked for Hostess. Every so often he would bring home a truckload of the expired stuff and toss it on the lawn and the kids went CRAZY! He's retired now and I ran into him at the grocery store last week. He's still pretty awesome. But yeah, you need better food. And I don't mean tofu hummus carob chip cookies either!!
Maybe you could dip those banana chips in some chocolate or something.
This could be a conversation heard at our house too. I also want our house to be the "hang out house" but I'm afraid we have the same problem.
My babysitter's house was always the house her kids friends went to but she provided all kinds of pop, candy and junk. Please tell me that's not what it takes! Can't it just be our winning personalities as parents? No?
Post a Comment