Saturday, May 03, 2008

the end of an era

As it happens "era" is an anagram of "rae". And our RaeRae era came to an end yesterday. Pi'bears and RaeRae have been together for two years now. It started innocently enough but quickly took a foul turn when Sarah started sucking on his ears. And by foul I mean FOUL. Seriously, saying it stinks doesn't cut it. That thing stanks. We have four of them now and I wash them constantly and they still come out of the dryer smelling like rotten toddler breath. Or rotten toddler who's been chewing on dog poop breath. They're nasty.
I've been fed up for a while but knowing taking him would break her heart we've put it off. (it's definitely a him. Only boys can stink that bad) Yesterday though I walked into her room after the door had been closed for a bit and I almost fell over. Alabama heat and humidity + stanky RaeRae = a new level of horribleness. The time had come.
So I talked it up all morning and yesterday's nap went pretty well. She fell asleep fine but only napped for about 45 minutes and then woke up a total crab. She recovered quickly and we ended up having a nice afternoon. We went out to dinner last night (Cracker Barrel, her choice) to celebrate her new big girlness but then she wailed a bit at bedtime as she fell asleep. She woke up at 5 this morning looking for him but fell asleep again about 45 minutes later after some cuddletime with mommy. Now she's "napping" again. Quotation marks due to the fact that she's not actually asleep yet. The jury's still out.
I definitely know this is the end though. I may be compulsive but I'm also headstrong. So even when I make snap decisions I always stick to them. And besides, it's really, really time.
So long RaeRae. You've served us well. I promise to wash you 87 times in boiling water and baking soda before stashing you away in Pi'bears memory box.


16 comments:

Jeanelle said...

Oh, Poor Rae!

It almost makes me want to cry!
I hope Pi'Bears deals well!

starfitch said...

We had a Rae Rae too (same one) that thankfully never developed into a chewy. She never got as attached as Pigbear did, but I always loved seeing RaeRae in pictures.

mandy said...

OH my goodness! Way to go Sarah on being a big girl. I'm thankful that Lambie has not been sucked on. Ansley might have to be committed if I get rid of Lambie.

Tammy Waida said...

I know the smell! We have a blankie and the tag gets sucked on all the time. It does stink! We have a new baby coming in a few weeks and I'm not ready to try to take away the blankie (or the pacifier for the matter, which she only uses at bedtime). We will just have to continue to wash them in hot water and suffer the smell!

erin said...

Thanks for the support you guys! After two hours of on and off fussing/screaming/crying/playing/reading Pi'bears finally fell asleep. PHEW!

Anonymous said...

Erin,
T was sucking on her blankie while going to sleep yesterday and I thought of Sarah and was going to ask you if she still sucked RaeRae's ears...glad his disappearance is going well! Glad you are saving one as a keepsake. :)
Colleen

Anonymous said...

I have a confession. We're blankie people. I still have mine from when I was a kid, neatly folded in my lingerie drawer. When my mom forced me to let her wash it, I would open the washer and dryer like every 5 minutes - it drove her nuts. Tyler got one when he was a baby and had to take it EVERYWHERE - even school. Tyler picked out one exactly like it for Nick when he was born. Nick confiscated Tyler's when he got big enough to, and to this day still sleeps with both of them - he's 12! And yes, they smell.

Samantha said...

Meanest.Mom.Ever. Sarah, sweetie, you can come live with me and suck your Rae Rae anytime!

liz said...

you're willing to stash it, huh? even with all the photographic evidence? you're too nice. Try freezing it for 24 hrs before washing. Also, vodka spritzing on the ears before washing might help with the smell...

erin said...

Okay, now MY confession. I'm a blankie girl too. And I still sleep with it every night. But the sucking thing...that just got to me. I'm cool with a lovey, just not a suckable one. :)

Neurotic Atty said...

Awww...I feel bad for poor RaeRae! My niece, Lily, has BunBun, but she doesn't suck on his ears, so it's all good. I would hate to think about what will happen when my sister decides it's time for BunBun to go bye-bye, though... Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hey Erin!
My first time leaving a comment although I read your blog everyday(Call me a stalker)! I have to admit that I too am a blankie girl. Yes, at 29 I still sleep with with my "security" blanket. Phew!! I have never admitted that to anyone before. Guess I just came "out of the closet" to all of your blog readers. I actually wish my mother had taken it away at an early age. Good luck and good riddance RaeRae.
Toni

Megan said...

Man, I hope all goes well for Sarah and the detox from her Rae Rae. We have the same Rae but it was never used as a chewy. My hat goes off to moms who have to end up taking away a lovey. My girls had/have their finger/thumb. I can't really take them away!

Amy said...

Yay Mommy! Good job--I'm so glad it went okay, and it's just going to keep getting easier.

And good job, big girl! We're so proud of you!

Mandy said...

Oh Erin, I am proud of you for being strong!
We are talking up the whole passie fare well thing. Yes, she will be 3 in Oct, but is SERIOUSLY attached to the thing. When we've tried to take it away we've always given in because you'd think we cut off her arm! She cries so hard and for so long she gets busted blood vessels in her eyes that last for more than a week.

The worst thing is that Passie has a friend ~ Taggie. They go hand in hand and I mean HAND IN HAND. One is NEVER without the other and why do they both seem to disappear at bedtime?
Maybe that could be a Mommy Monday topic. Tips on giving up the "lovies".

Anyway, congratulations Sarah on kicking the habit! You are a big girl now! (kind of sad though)

Anonymous said...

Oh Erin or should I say Oh Sarah. We had a Rae Rae and a Waddles however they did not get stinky. I'm not sure what we would do around here if our animals of choice needed to go! Hope it goes as smoothly as possible!