Wednesday, February 06, 2008

just out of curiosity...

Amy Coffey's post about her ghetto bento box got me re-thinking about something I've wanted to blog about for a while but have put off. Truthfully, I've put it off to avoid coming off as all braggy-braggy in a self-righteous, crunchy hippy-chick sort of way. It bugs me to no end seeing all the media hype about going green that just seems to be about a different sort of green (the cash-monies kind: as in "NBC GOES GREEN!" during sweeps week). Okay, so you see where I'm going with this...

With the growing national awareness surrounding all things "green" and good for the earth (or at least as un-bad as possible) we've been making small changes around our home. I'll share some of them with you but the real purpose of my post is so that you might share some of your great ideas with me (and the other readers). Like Amy's bento box. I'm so doing that. Like, tomorrow.

Okay, here are some of our little things:

1) obviously for those of you who've been reading the blog for a while already know this one - cloth diapers and cloth wipes. I'm listing it as #1 on the "little things" list because it really is a little thing. As in, easy. The key is hooking up with someone who's doing it already to help you get over the intial fear of the unknown and to help you answer all those "how do I?" questions. I'm more than happy to help if you'd like to know more. Just email me.

2) Brent is really, really good about only replacing our lightbulbs with the flourescent energy-saving kind. We were bummed to discover the other evening during our date night that they don't dim once they're installed in the fixture over our dining room table but, hey, it's a small price to pay for saving all that energy.

3) We always get paper bags at the grocery store and then reuse them as our trash bags...they fit really nicely inside a standard kitchen trash can. Just be sure not to put anything really wet inside or they'll leak.

4) I'm trying to become better about changing out the lint filter in our dryer everytime I throw a new load in. Brent used to question whether I was trying to knit a sweater out of the dryer lint because I would let it get SO full before taking it out. I've been enlightened though and, I swear, I'm trying to get better. I'm now a reformed lint cleaner outer.

5) We've made the switch to cloth napkins for all of our meals. My mom gave me a beautiful bowl for Christmas that's sitting in the middle of our dining room table and I just tossed all the pretty cloth napkins I already owned inside of it. We just reach in whenever we need a napkin. This has the added bonus of making us feel all fancy-shmancy during breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

6) Brent has finally made head-way with a friend from work who he's been trying to convince to carpool since we moved here. They're starting in the next week or so.

We're doing all the obvious stuff too like recycling what we can (something we failed miserably at in CO and were always chided by the Shertzers for), keeping lights off in rooms we're not in, yada, yada, yada. But we have so much room for improvement. We still use too much water, we don't have well-insulated windows, we buy a lot of new stuff, etc, but we're trying.
Please inspire me and the rest of us with what YOU'RE doing in your own home...I know there are a ton more small changes we can make. I'm starting with the bento box. :)

And if you're up for a bit more inspiration stop by and say hi to my friend Daisy who just started a blog to chronicle her adventures as she attempts to grow as much of her own food as possible. Pretty neat stuff from a really cool girl.

44 comments:

Amy said...

Check out these reusable grocery bags: www.onebagatatime.com

Sooo much better than paper even! The straps are a great length for carrying in your hand or over your shoulder. $0.99 at Vitamin Cottage and I even saw some at--gasp--Wal-Mart the other day.

I only have 1 right now, but I'm going to get a few more. I take it and my paper bags from home with me whenever I grocery shop. I'm going to start taking it with me even when I go to the mall. Nothing like coming home with 6 bags from 6 different stores when 1will do!

Yay for your efforts! I get disgusted at the amount of trash our little family produces. I'm totally switching to cloth napkins!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure this comment will get shifted over to spam. LOL

I have four of these plastic containers:
http://www.heritagemint.com/jump.jsp?itemID=271&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C7%2C52&iProductID=271

You can't see it in the picture online, but they are about 6x6 inches square and inside they have four removable square shaped sections. They work really really well for him for lunches and they are so easy to clean and customize since the divider thingies come out or pop in. Perfect size for him at this age as well and then I can reuse them for Katie later. I originally bought them because I was so dang tired of the requests for lunchables. I mean really. It's just cheese and meat and crackers in a fancy box. And then I saw these and was like HELLO! I'll make my own and we'll be all fancy like that. But we pack all kinds of things in them. Super fantastic.

Love the cloth napkins idea! Will have to join with Amy on making that happen here. I HAVE them, I just don't USE them. Which is SILLY.

And I know this is a goofy one, but my kids? they like to color. a lot. So I save all of that annoying junk mail that is printed only on one side in a stack and let them color on the blank side before I toss them in the recycling. Elijah has taken to enjoying the written on side as well since he can pretty much read it. So he'll circle words he doesn't know or sign his name at the bottom or whatever. ("Do you want the freedom of refinancing your home? Of COURSE you Do! LOVE, ELIJAH")

I am rambling.

If I think of others, I'll let you know, but I'm definitely going to check back and see what other people suggest!

Megan said...

We are pretty good about recycling. It kind of carried over from our time in California. Also the cloth napkins are a great idea. I think we will have to switch as well. Like Amy, I too am shocked at the amount of garbage we produce in one day. I will have to check out those grocery bags too. We try to be more green but it will never be enough. I think if everyone just does a little, it will work out some day!

Amy said...

Oh, one more thing. . . we do recycle. It's so easy cause they take it with our trash. All we have to do is sort it. BUT, they only take Plastic Types 1 and 2. Alot of our containers are 5 or 6 or 7, like the big yogurt tubs and butter packages. I discovered that they collect any sort of container with a lid at church to take down to the soup kitchen. That way, folks can take some of the soup "to-go". So, now I don't feel bad about having to throw them away. They get a second life and help the homeless!

I bet lots of soup kitchens would accept donations like that!

Anonymous said...

I found a little lunch box at Target (by all the Ziploc reusable stuff) that has a large section on the bottom (sandwich size) then a 3 part section on top that fits a juicebox and 2 other things. I also bought some little Tupperware containers to use in my sons lunchbox rather than the plastic bags.

I've joined www.Greendimes.com which helps eliminate you from junkmail lists and periodically checks to make sure you stay off. But the sweet thing is, they plant lots of trees for every person who signs up! It's not very expensive and I love that your money goes to planting trees.

PG&E also has a program called Climate Smart, which calculates your carbon footprint by how much energy you use. They add that amout to your bill to make you carbon neutral and use the funds for green programs. It really only adds up to a couple of dollars a month or less.

My youngest is so use to recycling everything that once we were out and there wasn't a recycling bin for his water bottle and he asked what he was suppose to do with it because he knew it didn't go in the trash. I was so proud!!!

Can't wait to see what other tips come in....

Christie said...

If you have a wood-burning stove or fireplace, you can turn your dryer lint into a starter log. I stuff an empty (paper) egg carton with my saved dryer lint and light it up! If you dont' get eggs in a paper carton, I'm sure you could modify witha small box or something else.

Kelly Kuntz said...

I'm planning on taking the jump into cloth diapers when my baby comes in May/June...I'd love any advice you have to offer!

We use skeeda (http://skeeda.com/) bags at the stores, they are more expensive at $15 but they are pretty :-)

I recently joined Catalog Choice (http://www.catalogchoice.org/) FREE! They cancel your catalogs for you so there isn't so much wasted junk mail. I'm going to miss a few, but hey its all online so I can get over it.

I'm going to start using cloth napkins! I was always saving them for a "special" occasion, but we NEVER used them.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Kelly Kuntz said...

oh and FYI not cleaning your lint not only uses more energy, but it is a big fire hazard :-) (just so you don't go back to your old ways)

Anonymous said...

Living in VT is all about being green, which we're slowly getting used to! We've recently gone with reusable grocery bags, they hold a lot and you get a 5 cent credit per bag every time you use one. I also send in real silverware instead of plastic with all our bag lunches. Unplug anything that has a light on when it's not in use, ie, computer, computer speakers, printer, toaster....
Sarah F

Virginia said...

The serious water crisis we are now facing in Atlanta has definitely been a eye-opener for me, and I am trying to do my own part in the conservation effort. We are currently in the process of replacing all our toilets with water efficient models and installing water-saving shower heads and flow restrictors in the bathrooms. Other little changes I've made: only washing FULL loads of laundry and dishes, turning off the water when I brush my teeth, and making a conscious effort to cut back bubble baths to once a week (that's been a tough one...I sure do love my bath time!!!)

Shannon Kelley said...

I am a cloth diapering mama so I wanted to share a couple tidbits for those interested:) I highly highly highly recommend bumgenius. You can buy them at www.cottonbabies.com. We bought the starter pack for our daughter, costs about $500 but that is all you ever have to pay because they grow with the baby....saves thousands in the long run!! Also, they are so easy to use, just like disposables...even my husband loves using them and washes them willingly:) Any specific questions on them, just let me know:)

Also, we made our own wipes out of flannel material and just keep a spray bottle of wipee solution at the changing table.

PS...love your blog and I am confessing my lurking habit! Your pics are so inspiring!

Terry said...

I hang all of my laundry on a clothesline -- summer outside, winter in a seldom used room. The line I found was expensive but well worth it. I have not put a load of laundry in the dryer since getting it. I will toss the clothes in and tumble them for a short time on the no heat fluff cycle and then hang them right on the line. Makes folding much easier too! http://www.mrspeggshandyline.com/

the larsons said...

We use cloth diapers too - at least half the time - and I love my green grocery bags. I recycle our plastic bags back at our grocery store too.

We try to use kitchen towels more than paper towels, and we also rip napkins in half when we eat.

We also try to consolidate our errands/trips/etc., so we're in the car as little as possible.

We're also clearing out our stuff for a yard sale, so hopefully most of it won't end up in some landfill - just cluttering up someone else's home!

I know we could do more, and we do want to invest in the better lightbulbs. Every little bit helps!

Heather said...

We do basically the same things that y'all do...minus the cloth diapers and wipes - maybe I need to get with you on that one! I always have a little garden, but Daisy's new blog has inspired me to go bigger this year :-) We recycle as much as we can, but you have to take it to the center, which makes it more of a challenge - anyone else have that problem?

Anonymous said...

One thing I have done that makes sense all around is switch my cleaning supplies. I buy only Method brand for almost everything. They are environment friendly and I feel safe when my kids walk on the floor or sit on the toilet or take a bath after I've cleaned. They smell awesome as well (mint scented window cleaner) and some are scent free which is good for my daughter who has eczema. Check out their website for more information. You can get Method products at Target. Seventh Generation is another good brand but we don't have much of it around here so I don't but as much of it.

Another thing I've done is to buy microfiber cleaning rags that can be washed and re-used. It's a great alternative to paper towels and newspaper (used on glass and windows) when you clean. I also bought a microfiber cover for my mop head that I wash and reuse. I am a germ-a-phobe so I would use a sponge head mop and replace the head every couple of weeks or use the swiffer wet jet. Now I don't have to throw the pads or mop head away, I just wash the cover and it's good to go. I also stopped using sponges to clean my dishes because I would go thru one a week. I use wash cloths and wash them.

Another very small thing I do is make my husband and kidos (and of course myself) wear pajamas two nights in a row to cut down on laundry.

I have gotten lots of good ideas from the comments and your post. Thanks for talking about this subject. I hope I've helped in some small way.

erin said...

Wow...some GREAT ideas here! My list of projects is getting longer...keep 'em coming!

Lisa said...

We recycle, have the swirly light bulbs, reuse our grocery sacks for trash bags, etc... but cloth diapers scares me. With baby #2 coming next month I would love to hear more about cloth diapering. Would you might doing a post (if you haven't already) on what you use, etc.

Kelly Byrom said...

we are definitely in a water crisis in atlanta and to help with that - my husband does not flush the toilet all day. so this may be gross, and of course the rule only applies to the #1 variety. since he is a stay at home dad, hes the one home all day its mostly just him. We also have an old shampoo bottle in the container of the toilet. We use those new light bulbs and now like everyone else, im say duh! we are totally going to use cloth napkins. why didnt we think of that before...we go through sooo many paper towels.

Anonymous said...

Erin,
Just checking in to make sure your family and your extended family are safe after the devastating tornados yesterday. I was glad to see a new blog post...took that to mean you are all safe and still have your house in one piece.

On a different not, that Baby E is BEAUTIFUL! I mean really BEAUTIFUL!

And...I am completely jealous that you, Sarah, and Ephraim are going to Boston next month to see Samantha, Steve, & Caroline. Wish I could go too, I miss that girl!

Anonymous said...

I forgot to add earlier that we invested in a new frontloading washer and dryer! You can totally pack the washer - which already saves water to begin with - and do less loads. Plus, it really gets the water out so they take less time to dry! (The old washer broke so it went to the graveyard, but the dryer was given to a friend so it got "recycled").

And they now make compact florescent bulbs that can be used in "can" lights (the recessed ones in your ceiling). I've replaced all of ours thanks to a great deal at Costco.

Susie said...

We are total losers. I used to be such a good recycler, but Andy dragged me down. DO you think we could unequaly yoked in this department?

The only thing I think we have in place (aside from the city's green garbage can) is Sarah's lunch bag- once a week she uses her little Target Butterfly bag rather than a disposable brown bag. You bet I'll be switching over to little rubbermaid stuff inside to hold the goods.

Thanks for the kick in the butt(I didn't htink this post was self righteous at all).
S

Daisy said...

WOW!!! I've LOVED reading all the comments! LOVED it! Best thing I've done for the environment lately is quit my job. Ha! I used to commute forty minutes each way, and now I can walk to my job. The other thing I did was get over my fear of bicycles (I know its weird, but I would rather kayak over a twenty foot water fall than ride two blocks to campus). Even though I'd walk a lot of places before, I'm much more apt to leave the car in the garage now that I can scoot around on a bike. I went from filling my gas tank one or twice a week to less than once a month.

Heather, we have the SAME recycling problem here in Missoula. This town is SO eco-conscious, but there is no automatic, curbside recycling. I still recycle faithfully, but I hate having to live like a packrat until I'm ready to go all the way across town to the recycling center.

What I'm not doing now that I'd like to be doing is composting my kitchen scraps. My goal for this growing season is to figure out a way to compost without requiring a lot of upkeep or imposing on neighbors with smells and pests. I live in a rather dense residential neighborhood pretty close to the center of town - I don't want to spend a lot on one of those containers, but that may be my best best. I'll have to explore some more...

Daisy said...

I forgot to mention that I'm also getting a new energy-efficient furnace this summer. It's kind of ridiculous to mention because it's not an easy change, but mine is 25 years old and on its last leg.

I'd like to get on-demand hot water which means you don't have to spend the energy to heat water when you're not using it. But, my water heater was replaced right before I got this house. I don't think I can justify switching now, but I haven't looked around to see if there's a market for five year-old hot water heaters.

kristen said...

Erin,
They make fluorescent light bulbs for lights on dimmer switches. Check out the GE lighting website www.gelighting.com.
We have reusable grocery bags too, and I keep them in my trunk, so I have them whenever we make a quick trip. We recyle whatever we can, and now my 5 year wants to bring things home to recycle. We are in the process of switching to natural cleaners (7th generation). I love this post!
Kristen

Jaime said...

I have really started to get into this whole thing. I have used cloth diapers since my son was 2 months. LOVE THEM! bumGenius is what I use and just love them. I just bought the reuseable grocery bags from brightandbold.com called Envirosax. I love them. They are big and great colors. We also have switched to the energy saving light bulbs. I also try to turn off everything when I leave a room. I use ALOT of organice things. I use the organic wipes for my son. I should probably try the cloth wipes. I was alittle nervous too. Not sure why though. I sometimes use disposibles but they are the eco-friendly ones at a local store here. I only use them at night if I need to. I always let my son play with all the junk mail. It has to be good for something. I use seventh generation laundry detergent. I really want to get into more of the cleaning supplies that they have. Does seem to be a bit on the steep side money wise. But I am sure it is all better in the end. The cloth napkins....great idea. I used them for my son but we always have paper towels around for us. I will be switching.
We also have front loader washer and dryers....they are the best. Saves on water and energy. Not to mention they wash your clothes well.
Great post. I have been wanting other ideas on how to change. Thanks Erin.

Shana-Lynn said...

Wow, there are some wonderful ideas on here. I thought we were doing okay, but I see there is a lot more we can do. I second Lisa on a cloth diaper post. I am so afraid of them, it sounds like a lot of work (probably because I am uninformed).

One thing we do that I didn't see on here is recycle our batteries. Although we try hard not to buy our daughter toys that require batteries, it is impossible not to have at least some with batteries. Anyway, everyone uses batteries and our local "green team" has a great program where you pick up special bags at the library and once your bag is filled, bring them back in and they'll recycle them for you. It's amazing how many batteries you use up on cameras, toys, remotes etc.. I would check with your local recycling team to see if they do something like this too. Also there are many places that recycle your ink cartridges and some schools even have fund raising programs for bringing in your old ink cartridges.

Hope that helps and thanks for all the great ideas everyone. I see room for improvement in our home.

Anonymous said...

Nice blog post Erin...You're like the "Oprah of bloggers," always helping us to be a better self :)
Thanks!
P.S. T says "Mellow Yellow" all the way ;)

liz said...

Okay, I'm excited that I do a lot of the above and I really thought I'd be the only one to admit I do the following (but maybe "T" in the post above me is saying the same thing?):
If it's yellow, let it mello,
If it's brown, flush it down.

...seriously, I don't flush until I think there might be too much paper!

I can't believe I just posted this!

Anonymous said...

Hey Erin...
The school I teach in was just named a "green school" so we're trying to be all about the environment. In English, I am teaching my students conservation with the book The Lorax by Dr. Seuss. I polled my 7th graders and only 3 hadn't heard it before out of 98 kids! Isn't that great! This is a good one to check out of the library and I'm sure Sarah will love it... it definately "plants the seed" for conservation. I also have some great lessons with it if any teachers out there want to use it in their classrooms.
Stacy

mandy said...

well, looks like our family is doing most of those things (except the cloth diapers), though I wouldn't mind. Just the hassle of getting started with "supplies & such". I do it every now & then when it's almost bathtime & I don't want to waste a diaper. So maybe that's a thought for all those people who are scared. You don't have to commit fully, just saving here & there can help out. How much actual washing/drying (use of water/electricity) goes into cloth diapering anyway? Has there ever been a study done?
You know I grew up in a family where we always just shared a dish towel instead of napkins. I'd never heard of such...paper napkins at home?? Now that is fancy! I think C probably thought I was crazy just plopping a dish towel on the table! That's 4 less napkins to wash at my house! Do you sense I don't like doing the laundry??
Also, (& this is a biggie I think) I love using homemade cleaning products out of vinegar/water, borax, and essential oils if you want that great lavendar scent or tea tree oil in the bathroom to prevent mold/mildew. I have done it all. Even making my own furniture polish with jojoba oils. (apparently pledge & such can give you a headache from all the junk it puts in the air. I love not having fumes from all those cleaning products! I'm sure seventh generation is great, but $$$? Check out: http://www.greenhome.com/info/magazine/001/makemyself.html for starters. Also www.ecomall.com .There are several great websites for keeping your home environmentally friendly & safe.

liz said...

I thought of another one I've never actually done, but wanted to: keep a 5-dal bucket in the shower to catch the phosphate-full rinse & excess water. Use it to water plants OR (fraidy-cats) flush the toilet!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post!! Wonderful!! One thing we have been doing is instead of sending birthday gifts (so much trash in just a little toy), we've purchased a tree to be planted on a tree farm. The tree farm does all the work! we've had some of our friend that don't have room to plant a tree think this is a wonderful idea, helping our environment in a way they couldn't before. Amy T.

Kim said...

This is a great post Erin! For a long time I did recycling (because we had the room), but we now live in smaller areas that just aren't conducive to recycling. This week actually I just started with plastics again.

I reuse water bottles. I literally have 20 bottles in my frig that have at least been used one (many of them have been in the dishwasher as well). I also use a nalgen bottle for my water when I go walking, hiking, etc.

If Second Generation is too expensive, definitely check out Method (which previously was mentioned can be found at Target). I got hooked on them when Oprah did her green show last year sometime. It seems they have sales on them all the time (at least when I need them!)

On the note of water, I also try to only use one glass a day for drinks per person. That way you don't have as many dishes.

Love all the ideas!

Kim said...

I was also going to mention that I use rechargeable batteries for just about everything. That's another way to go green!

We use our bath towels more than once (usually we change them once a week). That saves on water, detergent, etc.

I also recycle almost every scrap piece of paper (unless there's important info on it). The basket fills up quickly.

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin!
Beautiful kids you have!!!!
I have gotten some great ideas from your post.
(I admit I found your blog from a friend of a friend of a friend and got hooked on your photography and kiddos)
One thing we do when it is plant watering time during the summer is recycle the drainage water that our air conditioner leaks out. A challenge to capture it, but my husband "catches" it in a paint pan, then we dump it into a 5 gallon bucket. I probaly get 2 to 3 buckets to water my plants each day!
Anyway, keep up the great work!
Mandy

Tanya said...

Thank you for these comments! I have wanted to do more to be greener and have been at a loss. These things are both easy and fun! Thank you thank you thank you for posting. I'm saving a link to these.

Anonymous said...

Here may be a fun one for the kiddos...Luke,Jack and Zoe are at the age where there are birthday parties GALORE! About a year ago I thought the amount of wrapping paper and cards we were buying was crazy so...

We now take our paper bags and use them to wrap gifts and make cards. For the cards we make paper "fill in the blank" For example, we just made strings of paper hearts for Valentines day and sent them to all the Gramma's, Pop-Pops and cousins. Not to mention we have a few hanging around the house. They love getting out their crayons, paints and even scrapbook scraps to use as decorations. Plus it works on those fine motor skills. For one friend's birthday they made a construction sign chain for a birthday card. Of course they were all one shape, but then they colored signs on them and also put words on them to describe their friend. For wrapping, we take the theme of the party and then decorate the present to fit the theme.

It's a little idea, but tons of fun and green. Gives you great kiddo time together.

Amy C.

Becca~CapturingSimpleJoys said...

I've really enjoyed reading what everyone is doing. There are some great ideas that I'll be implementing. We already do energy saving light bulbs and my washer died right before Christmas so I was treated to a new energry effecient front loading washer/dryer. The reusable grocery bags, cloth napkins (I hope to find some at a thrift store to further recycle them!) and simply recycling in general with the city I plan to do.
One fun thing we do is always keep the cards you get for birthdays and Christmas. Unless it's a card you want to keep forever for your kids from say Grandpa's and Grandma's you can cut it up. I always cut the front off and then you can use it to write a quick note on to a friend. I've made bookmarks out of Christmas cards and I let the kids used them to draw pictures on. They enjoy having their own pretty cards to play with and I have a stack of bookmarks I've made for myself and family that I've cut with fun scissors and put ribbons in etc.

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin,
Love reading your blog!

What we do to be greener: we reclycle: paper, plastic, tins, glass... We have a composte bin for all organic waste and we use the composte for our garden. We collect rainwater and use this for the toilets, the washer, and to water the plants, wash the car, ... We also recycle battereis. Here in Blegium, when you take them in in a special bag (you get one twice a year in the mail), you even get to particiapte in a lottery.

We have floor heating which is a lot more economical that regular heating (it's more efficient and when your feet are warm, you're feeling warm).

With old furniture, we try to either give it to someone who can use it (like our old recliner is going to a next door girl who's moving out on her own) and otherwise we take it to a goodwill store.

I always pack our lunches in plastic containers, never in tin foil or so. Same when freezing stuff, I use plastic containers, not ziplock bags or so.

I only try to do full loads of laundry, at low temperatures, and with using rainwater, I don't need fabric softener.

My husband and I carpool to work.

We have a "saving shower head" liminiting the amount of water flow, and our toilets are the ones with two buttons (small or larger water amounts).

I'm still in doubt abou the cloth diaper thing. In our town, disposable diapers are recycled, together with the disposable wipes, so I'm not feeling all too bad about them.

There is still lots more we could do however. Like being more efficient in shutting down electrical equipment.

QDB said...

Love the cloth napkin ideas - started this last night, just don't expect me to be ironing them anymore :) (It's more green anyway if I don't, right? That's what I'm going to tell my mom!)
A couple more ideas:
1. For water conservation in the garden, check out http://www.cwp.org/Community_Watersheds/brochure.pdf for info on how to build a rain barrel to reuse rooftop drainage or a rain garden. This would be lots easier than trying to capture your indoor "gray water" for reuse.
2. Another greeting card recycle idea - cut off the pretty fronts and glue them to front of plain paper bags for cute and seasonal gift bags.
3. For those not brave enough to use cloth diapers, recycle the plastic grocery bags for dirty disposable diapers (who really wants to handle the Diaper Genie sausage o'diapers anyway?). Also good for those of us that do love cats - excellent litter box disposal bags.
4. FYI - Blossomwood school does recyle the ink jet cartridges for a fundraiser as one of the posts suggested.

Amy in GA said...

I'm so late on this, but I wanted to participate!! Thanks for this, Erin! (love the cloth napkin idea - we're doing that now!!)

We do lots of what others have said, but being in Atlanta with the water crisis and all we (like some others) have started doing more water conservation. In addition to sharing flushes and turning off water when brushing, I'm trying to do less laundry (by wearing clothes more than once before washing), poor Stella gets a cold rag on her face (instead of me waiting several minutes with the water running for it to warm up), and I also jump into the shower now RIGHT when it gets warm (I used to turn it on and then do a million things while it warmed up... wasting who knows how many gallons of water). All this has been great for the community as well as my water bill each month! WOW!!

Enjoyed seeing what everyone is doing!

liz said...

Okay, Water Savers! I waste the most water when I'm waiting for it to warm up. So, I have two pails in the shower that I use for flushing. And now I'm going to go get a Thermos Pump Pot ($15 & up) for keeping next to the sink. I plan to fill it once a day w/hot water and use it for washing faces & hands all day with no waiting & wasting!!

Call Family said...

Has anyone tried gdiapers? I have a soon-to-be mommy friend who's looking for pros/cons.

Anonymous said...

Scanning and going paperless with Dropbox or Evernote and a ScanSnap scanner. I am a pile person and clearing the paper clutter really helps. Plus you can find anything fast on a Mac with Spotlight.

I like the cloth napkins in a bowl idea. I am going to implement that!

Julie