Saturday, February 16, 2008

the aftermath

It's embarassing how much Sarah loves and is motivated by sweets. The child who ate nothing but organic homemade baby food for her entire first year and counts couscous and broccoli as two of her favorite foods has a dark side. I say it's embarassing because, well, I know where it comes from. I could easily polish off a dozen cookies by myself. And don't even get me started on rice krispie treats. Or brownies. Or Flipz. Yum, Flipz. Steve and Samantha had a candy drawer in Ohio that I would raid on a regular basis. So much so that when we all moved to Colorado they wouldn't tell me where it was in their new house for a good six months. Good ol' Papa John finally let me in on the secret and, needless to say, those Clarkies were less than happy.

I try to curb my enthusiasm for such sweet treats but I've found that the only way to really do this is to avoid buying them and bringing them into the house at all cost. Especially now that we have another sugar monster on our hands. She was chomping at the bit to tear into her Valentine treat bag from school, tossing measly cards over her shoulder right and left looking for the good stuff.

Oh, my child. What have I passed on to you? And don't even get me started on the passion for processed meat she inherited from her daddy. She's doomed for sure.









13 comments:

the larsons said...

Erin, just in the last post and now this one, I can see some of Brent in Sarah. Stella too - that child LOVES sweets. Sometimes I'll tell her I have a treat for her, and she'll say "is it a food treat, or not?" What a pig.

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain - I could live in the bakery department of any grocery store. I found a satisfying alternative that I keep in my snack drawer at work...Chex makes these little 100-calorie snack bags in chocolate & caramel that are pretty darn good! (especially the caramel!!) You can satisfy your sweet tooth without too much guilt.

Glad Sarah enjoyed her Balentimes!

sherri said...

Oh, goodness, I know how you feel! How adorable is she, though? Happy Valentine's Day!

Tina said...

We have a little sugar monster too...only I blame her daddy for passing that on to her! And don't even get me started on popcorn....(daddy again!!)

Amy said...

See, you don't need any sweet care packages from me! ;-)

My dear husband gave up baked goods for Lent. He was my only salvation. I bake cookies, eat nearly a dozen the first day, then send them out of the house with him. Come to think of it, maybe you will get some sweets in the mail. . .

Megan said...

You know, I recall Mazie's first Halloween when we came to the Cobb residence to help hand out candy. If memory serves, you ate at least one piece of candy for every piece you handed out! I guess Sarah was destined to get that trait. I'm curious if Ephraim will have the sweet tooth as well.

Samantha said...

COULD eat a dozen cookies? Come on, girl, you do every time there is a tray in sight. You are truly a one-of-a-kind.

Jen E. said...

cant' say i blame her--or you. i have been known to make a batch of brownies and eat the entire batch by the end of the next day. uhh by myself. not kidding.

she is too cute sitting there surveying her valentine's goods! also, what kind of a booster/kid chair is that? i have seen those before and i am interested in getting one for my young one in a few months.

Heather said...

I have the same problem with the sweet tooth! And what makes it worse is Wes hardly ever eats sweets, so when they are in the house, they all mine, lol. We'll see who Jackson takes after...

erin said...

Jen, here's the booster seat she's sitting in...

http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Newborn-Toddler-Reclining/dp/B0010WAXN6/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1203277208&sr=8-1

But here's the other one we have that I actually like better...

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Healthy-Care-Booster-Seat/dp/B0000DEW8N/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1203277301&sr=8-1

Hope that helps!

J.J. said...

OMG in the past 2-3 months alla has become a chocolate ADDICT. she is SO motivated by chocolate it's funny. of course she's our daughter! but i'm right there with you, i mean, we fed her the best stuff her first AND second year, and she will still eat the fruits and veggies on her plate first. but when she's done she EXPECTS a chocolate chip cookie.

Stacy said...

In our house it's the ice cream that motivates. Sad really, it's all my fault, but some of my best memories are of going to Baskin Robbins with my grandfather who passed on the ice cream obsession to me. I hope when my children are exercising to work off unwanted ice cream weight (like me) they will still remember me fondly:)

Rae said...

Meredith is the same way - obsessed with candy. I hate it! If we even see something decorated with pictures of candy she gets excited, lol! But the other one? She just doesn't care all that much about it.