2. Ephraim and I are facing nursing issues that I don't think we (I) can get over. I'm feeling crummy about it.
3. Coincidentally Sarah was weaned at three months for the same issues and two days later I started this blog as a form of catharsis. I've never mentioned that here before but it's true.
4. Here's hoping this will be a cathartic place for me again!
5. I'm toying with the idea of occasionally instituting "mama mondays" around here. I get a lot of emails about various mom-related things and I thought it might be fun to pick some different topics and have everyone share their ideas. Any interest in something like that? Any starter topics?
6. My magnetic poetry currently says:
Motherhood is
difficult
funny
exhausting
work
worry
Anyone else feeling this way?
7. I'm almost out of my case of oatmeal. I think I have like 4 packets left. Time to place an order...
8. Business launch countdown - 10 days!
9. Boston countdown - 18 days!
10. Some people I'm extra thankful for today: my husband, my mom, Parmy, Amy, Samantha, and Mandy. There's nothing like a good posse when you're feeling down.
Man, this was kind of a downer...here's a little pick-me-up!

20 comments:
Poor DeeDee....don't feel bad. You're an awesome mom whether you breastfeed or not!! Sometimes things just don't work out - and Sarah turned out great so I'm sure E will too.
As for the blog idea - I think it's great!! Anytime we can all share and pass stuff on it's such a blessing. Look how well your 'green' blog went over with everyone. I was coming here to look up the name of a website someone had posted there and found your new entry!!
And lastly, how can that picture at the end not make you feel so much better? It sure made me chuckle!!
P.S. I'm feeling like a bad mom today myself. I just shipped my baby off to Science Camp even thought he didn't want to go. I thought it would be good for him (and maybe it will be). But I miss him already and feel horribly guilty for making him go!
I agree with Jennifer. "You're an awesome mom whether you breastfeed or not!!" She is right. Just look at Sarah. It will be ok. You are doing a great job with those kiddos. I also think your mama monday is a great idea. And the magnet poetry is right. I've felt those things (and more)every day for 6 years!
Oh. I couldn't nurse ANY of my kids, and it was HARD. I had such guilt. Hang in there! It's exhausting having more than one kid in a family (I have three . . . I'm triple exhausted, especially in February, which is just a crummy month, I think). You're such an inspiring mom and person. I just started using cloth diapers this week, largely because of all of your GREAT information on your blog, which finally convinced me it wasn't really that hard, and it's not!
For me it's worry and guilt, too. especially this week. Talk soon =heart=
No, there is absolutely nothing bad about weaning, but if you think it is an issue that could possibly be worked out, at least give it a shot! Maybe your local hospital has something like this...the breastfeeding support group at the hospital where I delivered was my saving grace. It became my primary support system outside of family and is now a wonderful parenting/play group. That might be a great topic for your Monday idea...where people have found their best support system as mommies.
mama monday is a great idea! i'm all about contributing:) and you are an awesome mama...we are all here to support you:) can't wait to see the business launch for you!
Oh, no! I'm so sorry. We have been through what seems almost everything with nursing in our home. This third time has been the best yet. If you need to chat, let me know! Beautiful picture by the way. :) And I love your idea for Mondays. I love to read your blog anyway, so I'd be up for more :)
Don't worry, your babies will never remember whether you breastfed them or not, but they WILL remember how much you loved and cared for them! Just do what's right for both you and Ephraim, he will love you just the same.
And how exciting about your big launch party! I'm so thrilled for you!
I know you dont know me, but I just wanted to say that I think you shouldnt feel bad whether you nurse or not!
I think the mom Mondays are a great idea! I think that having a place to share ideas and conversation is a great thing :)
thank you so much for being able to admit to nursing problems! it's such a hard thing...my two best friends had no problems at all...they could nurse anywhere at any time. ryan was born 6 weeks early and spent 2 weeks in the NICU...since i couldn't be there for every feeding, i had to pump. while he did nurse occasionally with some assistance, i eventually gave up and pumped for 6 months. i hated it, even though i knew it was best for him. i'm not sure i could do it again. :-(
erin.
don't feel bad....i nursed sam for 9 months...i got mastitus twice, and it was horrible...well, needless to say, i was definitely going to nurse sawyer, no way around it...
well, his last "breast milk" bottle was yesterday. he made it almost 9 weeks...
unfortunately, he wouldn't take to it. we had to feed him with the finger feeder and then i was having to wear a breast shield and get expressed milk on it...
it was crazy, so i started pumping and giving him expressed bottles...anyways, that was a pain with dealing with sam....he took my shields off my breasts and milk was everywhere...he would pull the cord out of the wall, and turn it off.. he hated that thing..
well...i finally decided that i was going to quit...since i'm quitting at such an early time, i know i'll be so down on myself if sawywer gets sick...sam never got sick. not even an ear infection. but i've got to realize that there is one more person in the house to bring infection to him...
goodness, off my tangent...
don't feel bad. i was a formula baby..i didn't turn out too bad!!
have a blessed "hump day!"
smiles!!!
Hang in there Erin. When I had Luke and Jack, Luke wouldn't nurse because he had such head trauma from delivery and Jack was in the NICU which, even though he was a good nurser, it was difficult to bring Luke and nurse Jack. The hospital staff was great. Needless to say, nursing for the boys only lasted about 1 month and they are happy, intelligent, and typical almost 5 year olds.
However, when Zoe came she was horrible to nurse. She never could latch on correctly, which was painful to say the least. So, still feeling a bit guilty about Luke and Jack I decided to pump. Friends and family thought I was crazy, but I had it in my head that she was going to get breastmilk for a year and there was no changing my mind. So that is what I did. Yes, for a year!
To tell you the truth the only difference I see is that she doesn't get as many colds as Luke and Jack (and Luke and Jack,s cold frequency are also directly related to being premature) but otherwise, she is developing the same as them.
You are a wonderful mom and the love and emotional support you give them is what they will remember!
Here here to that magnetic mom statement. I guess it can't be the most rewarding thing in the world without its share of heartache and stress.
Good thought and hugs going out to you. . . and now only 17 days to Boston!
I can't imagine what you're going through, Erin, since I am not a mother myself. But I know that you're doing the best that you can...that's all anyone can ask for. Just know that you have many blog fans out there that support you through the good and bad. :o)
I think Mom Mondays sounds like a fantastic idea!
I really think this month alone can make you feel like that, I know I have struggled on and off this month feeling like I'm not doing enough as a mother-and as a wife for that matter. We all need warm days and sunshine to play in!
Don't feel bad about the nursing. I agree with the above comment. If YOU aren't ready to quit then maybe pursue getting into contact with the lactation team at your local hospital. Otherwise, know that he'll be fine and grow and be a brilliant kid just the same.
Thank you guys so much for being so kind to me. I'm definitely feeling better today and more at peace with our situation. It's just a disappointment that I'd hoped to avoid this go around but I'm still proud of the three months we made it through! I've been in touch with lactation consultants and done much, much more both this time and last so I don't think it's a question of not enough support or info. I wish that were the case! Thanks again...you guys are so amazing.
is there a lactation specialist in your area?
I love the mama monday idea- and you just need to chin up about the breastfeeding, E will thrive either way :) Praise God you are able to do it for this long :)
Hang in there Erin, just because you are having difficulty with breastfeeding doesn't mean you aren't a wonderful mommy! No one ever tells you how hard breastfeeding really is!
Post a Comment