I should have just directed her to Wikipedia. A brief search yielded this very informative lesson on granola:
"Granola" is also used as a slang term (metonym) describing a person who is hippie-like, a modern bohemian, environmentalist, or leftist in outlook. The protagonist of Neal Stephenson's Zodiac delights in the nickname "Granola James Bond". It is also used to refer to cannabis.The term "Granola" is occasionally used derisively by some political Conservatives to describe Liberals as being mostly "fruits, nuts and flakes". Granola can also refer to a style of dress which is independent of an individual's political or philosophical ideology. A Health Food store is sometimes referred to as a "Granola Factory". Granola is also a variety of potato cultivated in Europe and some parts of Asia.
Funny about the potatoes, huh?
So I'd like to say for the record that I like granola and I like crunch. I sometimes fancy myself a granola hippie chick what with the cloth diapering, baby wearing and baby food making but in reality I'm a pretty plain mama who wears solid colored GAP t-shirts most days of the week. I'm a total wannabe. I'm probably a little crunchier than most southern belles but, let me tell you, it doesn't take much.
So. You're waiting for my point, right? Well. Tomorrow I'll be announcing a super fun and oh-so utilitarian giveaway that is sure to increase your crunch factor. I think I'll call it Crunchy As You Wannabe.
Or not.
Until then, just a few of the fam at the botanical gardens today...








32 comments:
LOL about being "crunchy" and "granola." Thanks for teaching me something. Hee hee! LOVE those pictures, Erin! Isn't the Botanical Gardens so nice? Have a great rest of the weekend!
Ha ha, when we lived in Montana we also narrowed it down to Bozeman Granola and Missoula Granola. Bozeman Granola are the outdoorsy, kayaking/hiking/camping/etc. types while Missoula Granola are the ones with patchouli and dreads. Tee hee.
LOL. Who knew that southerners were so gentile that they have never used the term "granola"? Actually, come to think of it, I had to explain it to my mom not so long ago. Maybe it's a generational thing.
Great pictures! That one of Sarah with the plastic spoon may well be my new favorite Sarah picture. And how cute is Ephraim's little visor? His hair looks so light out in the sun!
Hope the rest of your weekend is equally enjoyable!
I love Sarah's face in the worm picture. Very girly!
Most days i dream of being crunchier - but my lazy, run over to walmart cause its easier self normally wins out. BUT, I did buy myself a rain barrel today - does that up my crunch factor?
Adorable pics.
oooh...a rain barrel...totally counts. :)
How funny! There's no way you can live within 10 miles of Boulder and not know what Granola and Crunchy mean! LOL
I'm like you, on many things granola but I like deodorant (there are a few who are a little too granola for my tastes!), make-up, heels and flowery dresses. The South, on many levels, is a much prettier place.
learned something new from you! I totally would think of you as "granola" but as a southern girl....I would say "tree hugger" instead. Is that generational? I don't know....I wear my 11 month old and I *thought* about cloth diapers and homemade food-but the barrel is more than I would even *think* about! hahahaha
Dayna (coming out of lurkdom for this comment)
Hi Deed, You have probably heard me say many times that I was a real "hippie wannabe" and I would have been but... your grama wouldn't let me! Thank goodness! I think SF was a little too accessible when I was in that phase in the late 60's. Anyway, I'll settle for semi-granola now! Love, Mom
P.S. Love the pic of you and Sarah, and Ephraim's visor!
We have an entire TOWN of crunchies (Santa Cruz, of course!). I think you have to show your granola card to even live there.
But girl, you are way to conservative to ever really be crunchy. I think these days we all have to think of the environment - if we don't all do our part to save the world there won't be one for our kids and grandkids. Some need to do a little extra to make up for those who don't do anything at all. That's not crunchy it's just an unfortunate fact of life due to years of ignorance and gluttony. (That all sounded very political didn't it?!)
And for the record, I don't consider myself crunchy, but I totally want a rain barrel though!!!
Hey- WE were at the botanical gardens too on Saturday!! Where did you find a baby visor for Ephraim, I love it!
isn't wikipedia the greatest?!
LOVE the pics from the gardens. b-ro is soooooo cute sportin' the visor!
Ooooo, oooo, oooooo, a giveaway! How fun! Looking at Elizabeth's comment makes me laugh. . . we're definitely Bozeman Granola! In fact, we're leaving to go camping for 2 nights as soon as Hayden wakes up from his nap, so I'll miss out on your little giveaway. Count me in, in spirit!
Oh, yeah, and that visor. To Die For! I just love it :-)
The visor is a hand me down from Christi. All of E's clothes are hand me downs...either from Christi or Sharon. They rock! Anyway, it's from Janie and Jack.
Amy, I'll comment for you. You're gonna want to be in on this giveaway, I'm pretty sure. =) Sorry I missed you tonight! Call me when you get back!
The Botanical Gardens are a favor summer spot for us!! Love the picture of Ephraim's visor...yes he is the cuties little guy!! Looking forward to reading more "crunchiness".
Amy
Okay this is the first time I have ever commented, but I am a pigbear-b-ro blog lover! As for my crunchiness, well I am not very, but you have me wanting to try cloth diapering with our next child. Basically I am just a regular mama, trying out new things all the time.
You might think that being from West Virginia might make me a little crunchy...but that's about all I have. I buy my diapers, I buy my baby food, I buy my veggies. I have good intentions but I just have a hard time following through...I admire all of you granolas!!!
I would love to be crunchy, but it's so hard. When going to Whole Foods or any other health food store, I feel as though I'm one of them, but deep down know that I'm not. Maybe in my next life.
I am about 1/48th granola! And that is only because I EAT granola. Grrr. HOWEVER! If I were to have do-overs with my Sarah, I might become about a 1/8 granola girl. Thank you for helping us understand that it really isn't that hard to be crunchy!
Not uber-crunchy here... let's say I'm a kinda gooey on the inside with a crunchy outer shell! (I try!) =)
i really want to be crunchy. well, not stinky and hairy or high, but i want to try cloth diapers.
I'm not really cruchy at all but my sister-in-law is and is trying to change my ways.
My brother calls me crunchy..I probably fit the definition!
Let's see...to start I'm a holistic nutrition counselor. Let's just say, we eat a lot of quinoa and kale ;)
I cook at home all the time and try to go organic or local as much as possible. I make my own babyfood, I plan to nurse my daughter past 1 year, and I delivered her without any pain medication and had a doula (oh so crunchy).
I *wanted* to cloth diaper so bad... I even ordered the trial from jilliansdrawers.com and it came and everything...right around when my washing machine wasn't working...wah wah wah. So it never happened. So I'm not uber crunchy-but I aspire to be as good to the environment as I am to my family.
And I love kashi crunch cereal. Does that count? ;)
Must know where Sarah's Big Sis + Little brother shirt is from! Google was no help.
Oh Tanya, I wish I could tell you! They were actually a gift when E was born...he has a matching one in blue. My guess is they're a boutique item purchased around here. Sorry. :(
"How Crunchy Are You" Quiz
http://themoralesfamily.us/granola.htm
Love it! I've described people as "granola" before... one of best friends in fact! Anyway, love the pic of Ephraim in the visor. So precious!!
Love it! I've described people as "granola" before... one of best friends in fact! Anyway, love the pic of Ephraim in the visor. So precious!!
One of my favorite lyrics is from a Neil Diamond song "crunchy granola---sweet!" does that count for anything?;)
Homeschooling, extended breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby slinging, organic foods eating Crunchy Christian Conservative here - those cloth diaper training pants are something I definitely need to look into!!
- Kristin
@ Giggleblossoms!
Post a Comment