Friday, August 08, 2008

dadadadada

It seems Ephraim has seen the light. The light that Sarah has basked in for the last 2 years and 10 months. The light that fills a room instantly and warms the whole house.

It's the light that shines on Daddy.


(arm wrestling in the backyard yesterday evening)

From the time we brought him home from the hospital Ephraim has been a certified mama's boy. As I like to say, he's a little bit obsessed with me. Or a lotta bit. Either way, he's in love. And while his adoration for me certainly hasn't waned (yet, thank God) he's found a new object of his babbling baby affection. And it's "dadadadada".

The scene when Brent walks in the door at the end of the day goes something like this:

Door creaks open.
Sarah screams and shrieks and lunges for the door asking "how was your day, daddy?!!"
Ephraim lights up at the sound of daddy's voice.
Ephraim gets a peek of Daddy in the doorway.
Ephraim flaps and waves and tries to take off.
Daddy disappears for a split-second as he takes off his shoes.
Ephraim crumbles and whines and looks around frantically.
Daddy reappears and scoops both kiddos up.
All is well.

He's a good one, that daddy. I'm glad you've seen the light, B-Ro.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

And do you flap and wave and shriek too? My guess is yes! He's one lucky man to have such adoration but it sounds like he deserves it!

Megan said...

We have some great dadadadas in our group of men! That sounds like a similar scene that goes on around here. Except Jacob can run to the door with the girls too. Jeremiah never gets his shoes off!

Daisy said...

Dads are definitely special!

Becca~CapturingSimpleJoys said...

Sounds like my kids when Daddy comes home. There is no price you can put on a great Daddy!

jeramy sossaman said...

that's the best when the kids start paying attention to you. i should write a book someday about the delayed affections of kids to their dads. you moms have a 9 month head start on us. dang! :-)

Shana-Lynn said...

Your little guy is getting SO big now.

Neurotic Atty said...

Awww...what a sweet picture, and what a beautiful mental picture. Makes me want to call my daddy.

Amy said...

Oh, that is so sweet. I love E coos and chirps and I can just picture him waving his arms around. Absolutely adorable! Sorry I missed you on your way home. We'll talk soon!

Anonymous said...

so sweet! love the arm wrestling shot!

Robin said...

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. Dadas are something else, aren't they? :-)

Heidi said...

Am I the only one who gets a little jealous over the Daddy phenomenon? As much as I LOVE that my boys are Koo-koo for Daddy I sometimes wish just once they would show the same enthusiasm over me! =) They are usually like, Okay, hi Mom. Can you quit kissing me so I can continue driving or chewing on my truck now?(They are 1&3)
Oh well. I wouldn't trade their daddy for anything even though he outshines me. He is, after all, the best there is!=)

Shelley said...

Gotta love that father-son bond! Nothing like it!

shelby valadez photography said...

sounds exactly like our house in the evening...cute!

Dave said...

I like to flap my arms too when I see Brent.
~Dave

Miller Mommy said...

Sounds just like things at our house and I can totally agree with Heidi...can my boys please show me just an ounce of the excitement that Dada gets?!?! But I love him and the fact that he is an awesome daddy makes it all worth it and sooo much easier to sneak out and get a pedicure!!!