"careful hon, I'm afraid you're gonna fall."
"wait just a sec, I'm afraid you'll burn yourself."
"hold on, I'm afraid you might get wet."
Ugh. I hate it. Of course I realize that cautious = good but I'm afraid (SEE?!) I take it to an extreme. I see Sarah hanging back more and more lately when we're in new situations and I just worry that she's getting that from me. I thought about it a lot over the weekend of the fourth. I certainly don't want to push her into doing things she's not comfortable doing but I do want to lead by example. Something I don't think I do enough of - I'm a pretty cautious mama.

So in an attempt to throw my caution to the wind I paraded through the fountain fully clothed on Saturday afternoon. It did nothing to assuage Pi'bears fears but at least when she invites me to her therapy sessions in 20 years I can say I tried. Of course, that will be after the session when we cover why in the world her mama blogged every moment of her existence. sheesh.



Daddy takes a much more direct approach...




And, apparently, gets better results...

B-Ro on the other hand isn't afraid of anything (well, except loud, sudden noises and overly agressive Pi'bear tickling).



He's just happy to be alive.

HEY! SUPER COOL FRIDAY AFTERNOON TIP: AT CHICK-FIL-A TODAY YOU GET A FREE MEAL IF YOU DRESS UP LIKE A COW. SO GRAB SOME COSTUMES FOR YOUR KIDDOS AND HAVE A FAMILY DATE. AND EAT A BROWNIE FOR ME WHILE YOU'RE THERE...BETTER YET, MAKE IT A MILKSHAKE!!!
23 comments:
Ok - first of all I LOVED the first pic of E!! Laughed out loud!! Second, I just wanna pinch Sarah's little butt cheeks in that bathing suit!! :)
And third - why is Brent all suited up for the water and yet you're fully clothed?? Come on girl - show us what you got!! :O
Okay, are we related? Seriously, I have been reading your blog for...years now, and I can identify with so much of what you say about yourself. Right down to the childhood lovey that you can't get rid of (although I'm not ready to blog about it)! And now this. Well, at least Rory isn't the only one who will be in therapy for this.
I'm wondering if it's a phase. Katie, my once fearless child has been exhibiting fears left and right including the well known "there's a monster under my bed." Where on earth she got this i have no idea?? But things have now become "scary" like books and pictures out in public etc. She also hangs back a lot more on slides at the park and at the pool. It's a very interesting thing.
You know, I think that little ones tend to become more fearful as their imagination develops. It makes sense, right? They can imagine all sorts of fun stuff, but along with it comes some scary stuff too.
Noah has always been more cautious than it sounds like Sarah has been, but I have noticed him becoming much more wary in the last couple of months.
I am more of a "slow to warm up" type personality, and I think Noah is like me. Jed however, much like your Eph seems to be fearless... which I believe he gets from his Daddy!
I think I have become even more cautious since becoming a mom... something about needing to preserve my own life so I am around to care for the little ones.
This is a book of a comment... sorry about that! All this to say caution can be a good thing and you are obviously a great mom!!!
must find a fountain like that for al. stat.
These shots are great. It might take Sarah til she's a mama too before she understands this whole blogging thing. Of course, by then there will, I'm sure, be something much cooler than a blog. We saw lots of cows today at chickfila! so funny!
This post is so funny! I love the picture of you in the fountain! Looks like a blast!
SOOO need a fountain like that!
ps, no comment on the pix of Brent, "I'm afraid" they're no longer appropriate ;) ;)
Sarah looks like an absolute daredevil compared to Caroline. We can't even get her to get her feet wet at those things. Yet she wants to go every.single.time.
The father-son pics are so cute. I love seeing my Brent-ard with his baby boy.
I think dads are just more adventurous. I probably would have hung back and watched myself. I love those pictures.
Love all the photos.. so beautiful! the baby one is my fav and the one w/ u running through the fountain.
that is u right?
Yep, Drea, it's me! Jennifer, I'm wearing clothes because I didn't plan to get in. Next time I'll go prepared! :)
LOL! Taryn is afraid of those water fountain things too. And waterparks. We brought her to one this week and she didn't want to have anything to do with it. Well, that's not true, she wanted to, but she just couldn't make herself do it. Good for you for diving in though.
I agree with the above comment. Sometimes kids just go through being more hesitant. My son who is the younger one at age 4 is a lot more hesitant that his big sister in new situations. Just keep encouraging her regardless and hopefully you'll avoid the whole therapy thing! I have to say my husband is much more adventurous than me. I'm usually the one watching and trying to hide my anxiety!
I loved Round Two! Another great story in pictures!
Only seven days to go and I get to play with thoes babies.....CAN'T WAIT!
I honestly don't have a clue what it's like to have a child that's afraid of anything. My 3.5 and 1.5 year old boys are literally afraid of NOTHING! Yes, this has turned me into a paranoid freak of a mom because somebody's gotta be scared for them!
Your kids are just so cute. I have been "craving"? a daughter for the last six months or so REALLY bad and the pictures of Sarah certainly don't help!
hey I dressed up like a cow and everyone laughed at me...they gave me free food though, I think they felt sorry for me.
What a wonderful memory, not the whole putting fear in your child thing but the playing in the fountain. Great pictures, your husband is so good at picking up the camera and capturing you with the kids. Looks like it was a fun day.
Add me to the list of Mommies with suddendly overly cautious munchkins. My 2.5 y.o is afraid of everythign these days- even the TV ( which is fine by me, but puzzling to her father!)
Dave, I hope you got pictures!
Stacy, I should have given credit where credit was due...my dear sister in law, Parmy, took the pics. Although Brent IS good at picking up the camera! :)
My dear, that is called "first child syndrome". Only one of the many ways you will warp your children. That is sooo normal for first children to be more cautious. E is gonna be all out there most likely. And oh my, if you have a third, I don't even want to tell you how un-afraid you will be for them. (well, maybe...you are a bit freakish! :) just kiddin'!
What a doll Sarah is! Good for you for jumping in!
Post a Comment