Is that a family name? (the most common response)
Where'd you get that name?
Ephraim? Ooooh. How nice...what are you gonna call him? (a kind older lady at our church)
AFRAN?! With a name like that they gon' think he's black! (from a surprised black gentleman at the hair place)
But today at Home Depot I heard what could possibly be my favorite response so far:
"Ohhhhh...Ephraim...he looks like an Ephraim." =)
Love that. Apparently, my friends, this is what an Ephraim looks like.

We just pray he'll grow into his name. And that he won't hate us too badly if he doesn't. =)
38 comments:
I get the same kidna thing when I tell people the my little girl is Bonnie. I mostly get "wow thats a really old fashioned name!!" She is named after my grandmother and everybody hated it until she was born now everybody loves it!!. She just our little Bon Bon!!
I agree... I think he looks like an Ephraim, too. It just really seems to "fit" him. And as a bonus, when he enters school I bet there won't be 6 other Ephraims in his class either!
I love his name!! I even pointed it out to my husband as a name for future boys!
I love his name too! Love it! I get the same with our son, his name is Grissom. :)
I'm biased on all "E" names, of course. I can remember hating my name as a teen, but now at 27, I love it. And I always knew that I wanted a little Emma.
For the record, we love the name Ephraim.
He and Jed can start a club: The Out-of-all-the-names-in-the-Bible-I-can't-believe-my-mom-and-dad-picked-this-name-for-me Club.
I'm not to name my children what half the kids in america are named.
Everyone always asks if I got Camden from 7th Heaven (?) or Camden Stadium.
"Jude?" they ask. "Yes," I say, "it means 'praise' in Hebrew."
Then they decide they might like it, after all.
Everyone always thinks Gwyneth is such a "girly, old-fashioned" name. (I would have named her Ethne. Gwyneth was her Daddy's choice. Little did he know, I NEED an Ethne!)
So now we always get, "Jude & Gwyneth? Movie star names!" UGH!
I love names...and Ephraim is awesome in my book!
I love the name too, Erin! And my brother is Arendall, so you can imagine the mispronunciations he's gotten all his life. The worst I think was Orlando.
ha!
Of course that's what an Ephraim looks like! And there's not a more beautiful Ephraim in the world!
I love all these stories you guys! Names are so fascinating to me. Terah, we actually first heard Ephraim's name from a show on the WB (where 7th Heaven was on) called Everwood. Marian, I had NO IDEA your brother's name was Arendall --- what IS the correct pronuciation?
Marilee I forgot to say - your comment had us both cracking up!
Erin, I think this may be one of my favorite pics. He looks so stinkin cute! I, also, love his name. Not that buddy-ro isn't perfect, too.
Totally unrelated to this post (well, almost), Hayden was wearing the same outfit today! I must have been thinking of Ephraim when I bought it for H. :-)
And I love Ephraim's name. It really is so him! I can't imagine him with anything else!
I instanly loved it because of that show, Everwood. WHat ever happend to it anyways?
Our daughter is Adeline...we get the "oh, so old fashioned" or "wow, that's a new one!" response ALL the time.
Ephraim is a great name. It fits him perfectly.
-Monica
Cindy, I have no idea what happened to Everwood. I guess it went the way of most of the WB shows! We really only watched a couple of seasons but it was cute.
Monica, would you believe I know TWO baby Adeline's right now? Crazy!
I love his name and I loved the show Everwood. I make monogram baby items, and I can say I've never had an Ephraim. In school I never had to write my last name on my papers because I was the only Vanessa in the school. I loved it!
Hee, I love his name because Everwood used to be my favorite show.
I have to confess, when I first heard Ephraim, I pictured an old Jewish man - although I'm not sure why. Hopefully he'll grow up and appreciate the fact that he's unique, and if not, he can say "Blame my parents!" (For the record, Tyler hates his name!)
We get all kinds of comments about Taryn's name...most people say Karen?!"...no Taryn...."gasp, with a T?!" funny!
i am assuming you got it from the bible? when you tell people that, do they say, OH< i get it now?!
i love that name and it was a character on my fave show, called EVERWOOD>
i wouldn't care what anyone says as long as you love it! my daughter, Savannah hates her name! she says when she is older, it will still sound like a little girl name. i think she will grow to love it.i hated my name at one point in time, but then grew to love it!
he's so CUTE!
tara
So how do you correctly pronounce his name? I still don't know....yes, I am naturally BLONDE!!! ;)
My father's name is Efrain and pronounced in Spanish as "EfRIGHeen" with the appropriate tongue roll over the "r" of course. :-) But all my dad's friends call him "Ef", which may happen to Ephraim as he gets older as well.
Whatever his name may be - he's definitely a cutie!!
I just love him. :)
I love his name and miss the show Everwood.
My second boy's name is Rowan. I had at least three people think that he was a girl when he was really little(including his pediatrician). My sister-in-law was pregnant at the same time and she was floored when I told her that's what we were naming him because that's what she had always wanted to name a girl(she had 3 boys at the time) if she had one. Well, I hadn't known that and we'd already been calling him Rowan for 2 months so...
Sadly, she did have a girl 3 months after Rowan was born. Needless to say, I've had many people tell me that it's a girl name or ask me if it's "Roman" or "Ronan".
For the record, when I heard the name Ephraim I asked my husband if he would consider it if we ever had another boy. Unfortunately, he's boring and the answer was no.
Tara, yep, it's from the bible! (well, and Everwood) It means "doubly fruitful" which we think is pretty cool too. The funniest thing is when people from our church ask us where we got it, as we answer, "the bible" and then sometimes they STILL look a little confused. =)
And Niki, we pronounce it eff-rum. Although I think it's just as correct to pronounce it eef-rum. That's just now how we say it.
I'm cracking up over the comments you get because Justin will be the first to say, "Is that a family name??" when he hears a name he's just not sure about! We're having trouble coming up with a boy's name, but have found a couple that I'm sure will get raised eyebrows! Girls are so much easier for me to name!
As an aunt to a girl "Paxton" and boy "Beckham", I will never comment on names, as I know that once you meet and get to know the little ones, they become their name and no other name will do! (also, my sister gave Beckham the middle name "Ryan" so if he's mortified by his first name, he can go by a "normal" middle one -- I thought that was a nice option, but he's totally a Beckham!)
I agree- he DOES look like an Ephraim! I love the name and thinks it fits him perfectly. :)
Erin-
What a great post. You always make me smile when I stop by!
I really like the name Ephraim. I think it's so unique.
(Is that how you spell that word? Sorry, but you do know what I mean, Right! ;)
He is ALL Ephraim..and I dont think any other name would have fit his sweet personality.
I am waiting when ppl ask me what our new baby's name is...STEELE. I love it and it fits us..but alot of ppl are already like.. "Huh?"..Oh the joy of odd looks I will get... But who cares! At least it is Bernard, Fred, Joe ect..
I get the same thing all the time...we named our son Teeghun and people are constantly calling him Keegan, and will forever misspell it!!!
Another die-hard Everwood fan here... :) I wondered if that is where you found the name! lol. I loved the name, but my 2 boys were already born and named, so no Ephraim for us. But he sure is a cute one!
Ha! I love Ephraim- I had a crush on him on Everwood. His basketball skills were second to none. I digress.
Your Ephraim puts his cuteness to shame.
I have tons name stories too! We didn't get much harassment for Brady, but for Mary Rose , Jane and Margaret... we heard it all!
"Jane? Just Jane? Like Plain Jane? How are you gonna spell Jane?"
Someone actually thought we were naming Jane, 'Mary Jane' So we'd have a Mary Rose and a Mary Rose... Ummm okay? NO!
By the time Maggie came along I wasn't going to tell anyone her name because I was done! But, it slipped out and people heard. It was all over. By the 4th kid I was at my nice limit and was just rude.
My kids all love their names. And each of them suit their names. Just like Ephraim suits your guy. When you introduced him on your blog and told just his name, my first thought was that he's gonna be the boy all the girls have a crush on. The girls are going to write, "I love Ephraim" all over their binders. It may be laptops instead of binders by the time he's in high school! But, you get my point.
I totally feel you here. Our son's name is Oren. It's from the Bible too, a descendant of Jacob. Funny thing about that is that we decided to name him Oren Jacob before we knew any of it. Anyhow, I get looks from people like I'm a terrible mother and loads of questions on how we came up with the name. Oh and we are seriously thinking about naming our next son Ephraim. I've always liked it and I thought it was crazy/awesome when you named your son that. :)
Our DS is Thaddeus (Thad) and we also get comments all the time! We wouldn't even share his name before he was born because we knew we'd get all kinds of unwelcome comments. At least they're not too mean after the baby has been born!
By the way, I love his name!
Post a Comment