As it happened we were also reading Rapunzel everyday. Sarah tends to get on "kicks" (where in the world does she get that???) particularly as it relates to food and books. Rapunzel was her book kick for that month. I'm sure you guys are familiar with the whole "Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair" bit but did you know why she was named Rapunzel? After the "delicious radish plants" that were planted in the witch's garden just over the fence next door - the rapunzels. When her mother was pregnant she craved those rapunzels but when the witch caught her husband stealing them for her (what a good man) she made them promise to give her the child upon her birth. And the child was named Rapunzel.
All of that is to say that thanks to Ms. Colleen we have several fun things blooming in our backyard. You might even think we had some nice looking radishes but you'd be wrong. What we have are most certainly Rapunzels. Just ask Pi'bears. And her daddy. They're pretty adamant about it.

(check out the grip Pi'bears has on that rapunzel!)
And for the record, they're definitely not "delicious"...but they're oh so fun!
6 comments:
I want that storyboard. Definitely a Top 5 post of all time!
Head Rapunzel Planter
Erin,
Hurray!!! I was so surprised to check your blog this afternoon and find pics of Sarah enjoying her radishes (N is also enjoying picking his but they are in no way getting eaten by him as they are "spicy"). They are great to plant though as they are fast growers, grow anywhere, and are so fun to pull out of the ground (and play with too)! :) So glad Brent and Sarah had fun planting them and had no idea until you told me about Rapunzel. Missed you, Samantha and Amy (and babies) at my Mom's today. Thanks for posting how the gardening went! Hope Sarah enjoys picking the rest of her Rapunzels and the flowers are good too!!!
Colleen
Wish Sarah had been here to help grama harvest the rapunzels from Mr. Marv's garden. We have a bunch in our fridge -- yummy but spicy! They are indeed easy to pull up and just the thing for little ones. Love, Grama
Those are some of the neatest Rapunzel's EVER! I've never seen such pretty radishes. Almost too gorgeous to toss in a salad! I mean what fresh vibrant color and lovely green stalks! You should enter them in your local county fair!
(How's that for some "rapunzel love")
Really, what a fun gift! I really am going to send something to grow to a couple of sweet little ones I'm missing! Super fun idea!
I guess the "Alabama Sunshine and Grace of God" worked on your garden after all, huh, Brent?
][p;'' (anna said this)
Post a Comment