By the way, I could go on and on about all of the things I dramatically obsessed about as a child but I'll spare you for now. My family is now doing a collective eye-roll, an emphatic nod, and a sigh of relief. =)
When the holidays rolled around I always wondered why Meghan didn't just draw everyone something, stick it in a frame and call it a day. She could get off so easy! Sometimes she would do it but usually only if we specifically asked. One of my most prized possessions is a sketch of Sarah that she did for that Pi'bears first birthday. It's her to a T. My sister is seriously gifted.
But yesterday I finally realized, so am I.
I think gifted has traditionally been understood as a talent given to you. But then yesterday I came to understand that true giftedness is a talent you give to others. To truly have a gift means you have a thing, your thing, to share.
And ladies and gentleman I've finally found my thing. Something to delight the people I love. Something I can share and spread and freely give. And for me it's all captured in this...

A portrait of my Granny and her three children. My gift.
19 comments:
Your gifts are varied and many, but, yes, your photography is indeed a very special gift, and this particular picture is wonderful! Love, Mom
Um, you JUST realized you have a gift for photography? Are you insane? You have many gifts like the gift of friendship-you are an awesome person and sharing yourself is that gift-just to name one other than your photography gift.
You are gifted in so many ways, my dear friend. Thank you for sharing it with all of us!
I think often times it's much easier to see everyone else's gifts. I'm glad you realized one of yours!
Beautiful and what a special treasure.
Seems to me that you are gifted in soooo many ways! Your photography gift is a blessing to all. Amy
you truly are gifted.
and i was waiting to see the drawing of sarah LOL!
love your photos and most importantly your heart!
tara
There is no doubt that you are a very gifted photographer.
And you are right, the most special thing about being gifted is what you are able to give to others. You have given us beautiful pictures of our most precious gifts.
We are thankful for you!
what a BEAUTIFUL gift! you're a gift to us readers/admirers too! thanks for sharing your gift with us, erin.
You have always under-estimated yourself. How many people that you know of have a blog with a cult following? It's not only for your gift of photography and your beautiful kids, but your humorous writing (a gift!), your selflessness (another gift!), your creative ideas (yet another gift!). Well, I could go on and on. But I do especially love photography because it freezes time and you can always go back and remember special people and special things as they were at that moment. A picture really is worth 1,000 words!
Duh, are you just figuring this out? Don't you listen to all of us who have benefited over and over and over from your photography?
I know it sounds dumb, I really do! It's just that when I looked at these pictures on my computer I had that a-ha moment. This is my THING. This is what I can give.
I know. I'm a total weirdo. =)
Very sweet. I was hoping to see a photo of the drawing your sister did of Sarah in this post too!
yep, you are definitely gifted in the world of photography!
Samantha beat me to it, but
DUH! This is just ONE of your many "things" you give all of us everyday, Girlfriend!
Samantha beat me to it, but
DUH! This is just ONE of your many "things" you give all of us everyday, Girlfriend!
Seriously, this is a new realization to you? You aren't just gifted--you are like Christmas!
I've had this post pinned in bloglines ever since you posted it.
I can relate to this so much. I celebrate that you are so very gifted and giving!
Post a Comment