Wednesday, April 12, 2006

countdown to Easter

Tomorrow we'll be attending our church's Maundy Thursday service, celebrating and remembering the events of the last supper Jesus had with his disciples. Brent will be serving as worship leader which will include symbolic foot washing as we remember the kind of humble servitude Christ embodied. Such love and selflessness is beyond our understanding.

So, somewhere along the way bunnies, baskets, and pretty dresses got thrown into the Easter mix. How did that happen? This first year with Sarah is making Brent and me examine what traditions we want to establish for our family and what things we'd like to leave behind. In my former life as a kindergarten teacher it was always slightly sad for me to see the children who had to proclaim the "I dont"s as each holiday came and went. "I don't do Halloween", "I don't believe in Santa Claus", "I don't do the Easter Bunny". As all the other kids were getting wound up about the upcoming festivities, these children were on the outside looking in. But on the other hand, many of them were on the inside of something potentially even more powerful. For the most part they came from families that objected to the commercialization and cartooning that now accompanies what are in essence deeply spiritual holidays. They wanted to focus strictly on the religious aspects of each holiday. So I can certainly respect that perspective. My question is, can there be a balance? Is there a way to mesh common American culture and the celebration of holidays with profound Christian significance?

This isn't a rhetorical question. I really would like some ideas.

I guess I started thinking about this a lot today because I went to a playgroup on base and it turned into Sarah's first Easter egg hunt. She was cute as a button and I found great joy in it, even if she had no idea what those little plastic things were doing under the bushes and why Mommy was so intent on her picking one up herself.



So until I get some good advice from you guys we've still got eggs and bunnies!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a very interesting question. The best I can do is tell you what we do. You know that I come from a religious background where as Jeremiah does not. I feel that we have a good balance. We let Mazie and Jamie enjoy the fun activities of the different holidays. I feel it is up to us, as parents, to explain what the holidays are about...the true meaning. I am not sure that they will understand the meanings until they are older but that applies to everything we teach them. You never know how your children will actually turn out. You give them the knowledge you can and hope for the best. I hope this helps.
Meg

Anonymous said...

Every activity that we share with our children makes a memory. We want to stock up on as many happy memories as possible throughout our lives. These happy memories are what carry us through life's more difficult times. Whatever you choose - choose what brings the most joy.

A.K. said...

I actually watched this the other day on the 700 club while I was on the treadmill at the gym... What i gather from it is that traditions are what make family time special and something that children always want to come home to and be a part of (even when they are older and far away). It helps to make families unique and special. While we know that Easter is not about eggs and candy but really about Jesus- we can still enjoy those other things as a way to spend time and memories with our families. I know that both Scotts and my families do traditions for each holiday that make us so excited about going home... nothing compares to that special event with the family. While we could go to church in Blacksburg and worship Jesus- we want to go home to be with our family and continue the traditions. We love and enjoy the family time and going to church on Easter... but let's be honest- the Easter baskets are still exciting at age 22 and make it that much more fun! Why do you think Scott, Gary, and I are all making it back home for this weekend?!!!

Terry said...

The Easter Morning is about Joy! Jesus rises, he defeats death for himself and for us. To a toddler who hears the abstract story of Jesus, what could be more hands on than the joy of an Easter basket in the morning. Finding the Easter eggs and hidden basket on Easter morning reinforces the finding of Jesus in our lives.
I love you. Kiss Sarah for me this morning. Grama