Monday, December 01, 2008

homey.

That just about sums up our holiday celebration in a word. We spent three days at my mom's house and did the exact same things countless families around the country were doing - feasting, watching tv, talking, playing dominoes, entertaining kiddos, reading sale papers, telling stories. Americana in a weekend, yesiree.

When mom was planning the meal I volunteered to make my favorite Cranberry Apple Relish. Then I volunteered Brent to make the delicious pecan pie that he prepares every year. Or so I said. Upon relaying this to Brent he informed me that he's never made a pecan pie in his life. Really? Huh. Must be my other husband. I could have sworn we had a long-standing tradition of Brent making pecan pie but apparently I was wrong. So instead he made his first annual pecan pie...and had all of us cracking fresh pecans from his Aunt Alice' tree. Slave-driver.



I guess that's what I get for volunteering him. It's a good thing he's cute or I wouldn't have been so willing to oblige...



My grandpa was willing to chip in too. As long as he could enjoy the fruits of his labor every now and then...



Love that man. We don't see him often enough which is why we loved on him as much as we could...



Then we glued ourselves to the Macy's Parade...



and the sale papers...



And called it a successful celebration.

10 comments:

Amy said...

I love seeing YOU in so many of those pictures! Just this weekend Rich was asking me how to use my camera. I'll have to use Brent's pics as bait for him! Glad you had a good trip!

Megan said...

Ok, I know Sarah just had a birthday but is she looking really grown up watching the parade or is it me? Love seeing you in the pictures too. Looks like a lovely Thanksgiving.

I teach . . . said...

Oooh, is that your necklace in the first shot? I hope you are enjoying it. (And yes, I am a spaz!)

Amanda

erin said...

Yes, Amanda, it IS! I love it soooo much. I think today is the first day I haven't worn it since I got it...and that's only b/c I'm wearing gold earrings today! Everytime I wear it I get several comments about it. I took some awesome pics (which I'll share with you!) and I plan to blog about it this week so keep watching!

Anonymous said...

how FUN!
i missed my family celebrations this year with my side. we have up to 30 or more people all in two rooms and it's so cozy. this year we were at my hubby's side and the house is so big that we were all in like 7 different rooms and it just wasn't the same to me as my familY>!
tara

Neurotic Atty said...

It looks highly successful indeed! And, like Megan, I thought Sarah looked so grown up in the parade-watching picture.

Anonymous said...

It's great to see all those shots of Papa John! I'll bet it was a treat to have him around this year. Glad you had such a good time... And thanks to Brent (I assume?) for getting some shots of you too!!

Anonymous said...

I agree...Sarah looks really grown up in the parade watching picture!

Anonymous said...

I think Sarah looks pretty grown up looking at the sale ads. Glad you guys had a nice Thanksgiving

Anonymous said...

How cute is your Grandpa??? :-)