Sunday, December 28, 2008

see you in the new year!

We headed out of town the day after Christmas (officially known around here as Brent's birthday). We'll be gone for a few day and although I have limited internet access I don't have a card reader on my laptop so no photos. =( When we get back though I'll have a slew of Christmas stuff to share with some beach and grandparent goodness thrown in for good measure.

In the meantime, is anyone up for another round of photography FAQs? Seems I've been getting lots of emails lately in that vein and my guess is lots of you got new cameras for Christmas (woohoo!). So let the questions fly if you have them and I'll get started on "your questions, answered - part III".

57 comments:

Kristi said...

Question numero uno from a fellow photog :) Do you shoot in RAW or if not, what style setting do you normally have your camera on? I'm a neutral/auto WB person, but love the clarity and contrast in your images. Just curious as to your typical pre-processing settings! Have a blessed new year!

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday Brent and Happy New Year Cobbs!! Can't wait to see all the new pics when you return. Hope you have a nice holiday vacation.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure most of the questions will be more advanced, but for a beginner, where would you start? Let's say you get a new DSLR, either Nikon or Canon. Can you pick two lenses that you can't live without?

Shannon Kelley said...

I'm researching Canon L lenses..didn't know if you had any thoughts on them. Which, if any, do you have? What would you recommend as the one you can't live without? Where do you buy them?

Thanks!!! You are awesome!

Carrie said...

My WB is always off when I am indoors. What am I doing wrong?

Tammy Waida said...

How do you get your photos so crisp and in focus? I shoot in RAW and mostly in manual mode with a Rebel XTi and a 50mm 1.4 lens and lately my photos aren't so crisp. It seems if I am closer to my subject it is better. Also, how do you get group shots in focus? Even with a larger f-stop (around f/8) everyone isn't in focus.

I can't wait to read all the new questions and answers!

Amy said...

I'd love to see a list of what's in your camera bag and what's on your wish list!

Also, what aperture do you like to shoot at when you're doing a family outdoors (when you still want the blurred background, but want all faces in focus) and how far away do you typically stand? And what aperture did you use when you did my maternity shots in front of the black background--is there something you typically don't like to go below when you only have a single subject and you are 5-8 feet away, but want their entire face in focus?

Amy said...

Oh, and of what's in your camera bag, do you have a go-to lens for most shoots? Do you typically shoot a session with more than one lens, or does it just depend on what/where the shoot is?

Amy said...

And, finally, Happy Belated Birthday Brent!

Jennie said...

i have a random general question for anyone with a rebel - i bought mine off craigslist and it didn't come with a manual...could someone please scan the pages that tell you how to actually CHANGE your settings and send them to me? i would be eternally grateful. :-)

{Myra} said...

Oh goodie, I love the Q and A's!

1. After doing a shoot, what is your work process? How do you organize your pictures?
2. What kind of desktop and laptop do you use?
3. What equipment could you not live without? What equipement do you hope to get in the future?

Thanks! :) Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

woohoo- i am so excited about this! i have questions up the whazoo, but will stick with my top two.

1) tagging on to Tammy's question... how do you get your images so very crisp? is it something you do in camera, pp, or both? it amazes me every.single.time i look at your blog!
2) that darn "m" word. have you thought more about mentoring, or have you been mentoring? would you like a fun menteee, lol?

your work is so stunning.

Anonymous said...

My question is: do you change lenses during your shoots? I know you love your 85 mm, but do you use that throughout an entire shoot or switch to the 50 mm now and then? Do you ever use zoom lenses or prefer fixed focal lengths?

MA..

Heitkampfam said...

We have a new baby and I'd love to capture some naked baby pics, all by herself on our king sized bed. Any suggestions?? Also, I want to line our four children, on their backs on our bed and do feet shots--again, any suggestions? Your photos are "da bomb." I love the crispness and how the subjects are so sharp, yet background blurry--how do you get that? I have a Canon DSLR.

selena said...

I have a couple questions too :)
When you go on a shoot, what kind of questions do you ask the parents beforehand? And do you have a mental "checklist" of pictures you want to take, or just go with the flow?
I was also wondering if you calibrate your monitor...if so, what do you use?
Thanks and happy new year!!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited you are doing this again! My questions are (hope its not too many):

1. Do you take your camera with you everywhere you go?
2. How many weekends per month do you schedule photoshoots?
3. Do you do photoshoots on the side for the extra money or just because you love it?
4. For those outdoor baby/toddler shots, do you literally lay on the ground with your camera to get that perfect shot?
5. Which brand is your camera bag and do you recommend it?

Anonymous said...

Forgot one:

Do you shoot in manual 100% of the time (either home or business)?

Kassi said...

I have a non-camera related question. But it is mentioned on your blog, so I'm hoping you'll answer. Is the website mentioned in your cloth diapering section the only place you get CDs? Are there any other folds you use?

Thank you :)

Randi said...

Do you use natural lighting for your pictures? Also what lens do you use most? What edition of Adobe Photo Shop do you use? Love your work! Thanks!

Randi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Randi said...

Hi Erin,
Few quick questions....Do you shoot using natural light? What lens do you use the most? What edition of Adobe Photo Shop do you use? Love your work! Thanks

Becca~CapturingSimpleJoys said...

What is the most helpful photography website for information/instruction that you know of?
I had other questions but I believe they've all been covered by the previous commentors!

Have a wonderful New Year and I look forward to the pictures!

Kim Harms said...

1.) What are some of your photography goals?
2.) What do you think has made you successfull in photography?
3.) What do you look for in shooting locations? What are some things you avoid?

Tasha said...

Of course I will come out of lurkdom for some FAQ's on Photog.
1. I've got the 50mm 1.4 but find it to be difficult with getting the right frame. It takes great pics but my space??? seems small. How do I navigate this lens the best?
2. Again, ready to mentor yet? no pressure though!
3. Prints. where do you get good quality prints? At good reasonable prices?
4. Editing. I feel like I can't get my editing to come out good on prints, to dark. Difficulty sizing too. Using CS3, any pointers on editing for prints and web sizing/print sizing photos in CS?

OK, I can really sit here for EVER asking away, but I'll leave it at that....for now!

Anonymous said...

I'm very much a beginner and just started using my SLR so my questions are:

Do you use manual or auto focus? If manual, any tricks to keep moving subjects soo sharp?

Do you use the continuous shooting mode at all? If so when do you find it most helpful?

Thanks for all the information you share! It really helps the beginning beginners like myself :)

Shawna said...

YAY! Love Q&A time! My question is regarding the business side of photography... how did you get started (as far as the legal side goes), copyrighting, logo (did you make your own), basically any tips for covering all the bases?

Anonymous said...

In your recent newborn shoot on the photo blog, how did you do the black background? Is that something you carry with you to your shoots? Do you also use a black blanket?

You are AWESOME for answering all these questions! Thanks so much.

The Little Fam said...

Hey, not exactly a photography question - However, How were able to keep your previous banners posted on the side of your blog? Thanks, Laura.

rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

1. Which company did you use to host your photography website? Do you like it? Tell me about the process you went through to create it? I'm thinking about taking the leap into taking pictures for other people on a VERY, very VERY limited basis, and I'm trying to research a bit into websites. They scare me, but they also seem to be the most efficient way to put all the information in one place.

2. Could you please tell me about using high ISO's on your 5D? I'm currently using a 20d, and I have the itch to get something that will be better with high ISOs. I'm not sure that the new 5D is the right fit for me, and I'd like to know more about the old 5d.

Anonymous said...

Hey Erin! So excited to be able to ask you a few questions. I have a 5D and and have the 50mm 1.8 cheapo lens, which actually does a fine job. I am in the market to find a better lens. Suggestions? I only shoot my 2 wild, always-running/jumping/talking children (same ages as yours). I am thinking the 24-70, or would you recommend the 70-200? I think I like the idea of a zoom vs fixed, thoughts? Thanks!

Pigtail Mama said...

Yay! Thanks for answering questions. :) I have a few...

1) Do you have a favorite lens for shooting pictures of your kids around the house?

2) Do you ever use filters?

3) It often seems that when I take pictures of my kids their eyes end up dark and shadowed, even when I think I have good light. Do you use a reflector, or can you give any tips you could give for preventing this?

Thanks again! Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Yippee! I'd like to know who hosts your website and how you feel about them.

I'd like to know if you use Lightroom at all and what you think of it.

I also wish to know who your favorite lab is.

I believe you were mentored by Wendy Schultz once upon a time. I'm in her class beginning next week and I can't even wait to see what she does for my photography.

Happy New Year!

sydlovesfrisbee said...

Looks like many of us have the same question - focus! It looks like you shoot wide open most of the time. How do you consistently nail the focus? Thanks for taking the time to answer questions. Happy New Year! Amy

Anonymous said...

Wow - that's a lot of questions!! I can't wait to hear your answers to all of them!! Here's mine -

Do you use only your in-camera meter or do you use a handheld meter? I have a Sekonic that I purchased about a year ago and used once, but find it difficult to whip it out when I'm chasing moving subjects around!!

Anonymous said...

Coming out of lurkdom to ask a couple of questions!

1. How do you get such great eye contact? It's such a struggle for me, especially with my two year old.

2. I've got the list of books you recommend. Do you have any other suggestions for improving my skill? Any other classes or things that you found really helped you? I find myself really frustrated sometimes at my lack of progress!!

Molly said...

I just thought of another question. We are taking our 18 month old to Disney next month. What lens did you use while there? I'd prefer to only take one into the park but can't decide...28mm, 50mm, or 85mm?

Anonymous said...

I see that one of my questions has already been asked, about if you shoot in raw or not. I was just wondering what you do with all your daily family snapshots and if you shoot them in raw or jpeg. I shoot in raw and wondering if it would be easier to go back to jpeg, maybe I would actually do something with them then instead of letting them sit on my hard drive. What are your thoughts? Thanks Erin!

Anonymous said...

Also - did anyone help Jenny with the Rebel manual pages? I have an xti and would be glad to email any pages needed.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristen said...

Yeah! You are too awesome for doing this! I have always wondered, how do you get your entire subject in focus, head to toe, yet everything else in the background is blurry? Is it your ap. setting or is it in your pp? Thank you!

Anonymous said...

YAY!! I love your work and have a few questions!

1. What lab do you use to print your client prints?
2. Whats the highest order you've received in your years in the photography business?
3. Have you ever had a session that you thought came out awesome, then the client ordered nothing??


non-photo related :)
2. Are you a morning person or night owl...and what time do your kids wake up in the morning?

Anonymous said...

How do you handle your regular family pictures (just the daily snapshots)? Do you save them in a folder, say, by month, then get them printed every so often? If so, where do you put them once you print them (photo albums, photo box, etc.)?

My son is 2.5 years old and I still have all his pictures on my hard drive, or backed up on external drive. I'm trying to get some kind of 'system' to actually organize and print the pictures!!

Thanks!

Denise said...

I like the question about what you think has made you successful. I am just starting out "technically" as a business and I know it's slow after Christmas, but was wondering if there is anything you did to build your business, or was it all just word of mouth?

Ditto on the sharpness questions. I like shooting wide open but sometimes get the one fuzzy eye, especially close-up.

Thanks! Happy New Year!

Dawn said...

How nice of you to answer questions. There are already so many I hate to ask you anything more. If you have time...

How do you get such good lighting? Is it all natural? How do you get good indoor and night lighting?

Thank you thank you!

Thome Family said...

Hi Erin,
My question is about metering. You mentioned in your last FAQ that you meter off of your hand most of the time...Are there any other tricks you use to meter? Like when shooting a group with more that one person (that may have different skin tones), what do you do then? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I love that you put your actions on your new blog....thank you..thank you!!! Is there a way to apply the color actions to all of your pictures automatically without having to do it to each picture individually?

Anonymous said...

What type of blog do you use to host your photo a day? DO you have to pay for it?

Thanks,
Adrienne

Thome Family said...

I just thought of another question...On your 5D, do you have your settings on default, or do you custimize, such as contrast, sharpness, etc.?

Anonymous said...

I am interested in starting to learn more about editing photos using Photoshop. I would probably have to buy Elements as the CS3 is out of my budget! Even with Elements, though, I feel a bit overwhelmed with all of the choices, options, etc. Did you have any help, books, tools, etc. that helped you learn how to use Photoshop effectively? Or did you just explore & teach yourself? Any suggestions, ideas, etc. are GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Also, I think someone else asked this, but do you shoot in RAW? IF so, do you find it easier to edit afterwards?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited you're doing a Q & A. I looove your blog and photography.
1.RAW or JPEG?
2.Do you use an external flash for indoor/night photos?
3. Could you direct me to the post where you told how you made the black and white collage that hangs in your dining room?
Also, would love to see more pictures of your home. I loved seeing it in your Christmas photos. Thanks. Can't wait to see your answers.

One more thing for Jenni that is looking for her camera manual. I think you can download it on the Canon website.

Amy in GA said...

Admittedly, I'm too short on time today to read through all the other questions, so I do apologize if these have been asked already! :)

1. What lenses do you currently have? I think I know most of them, but I would love to be sure. :)

2. Which is your "go to" lens these days for shooting toddlers? Why??

3. I would LOVE some "advanced" focusing tips. I know the generally ones (keep camera steady, fast shutter speed, enough light, tripod, etc.). I flip my focus areas all around depending on the situation, and would love some tips that you use when focusing in on a portrait. Especially group shots.

4. Would love more tips on working with kids (toddlers). What funny things do you say, any new treat ideas? What about kids in the 8-10 range? What's your trick with them?

5. Do you ever use an assistant? If so, what do they do for you?

Thanks so much, Erin!! You rock!! :)

Amy

Amy in GA said...

Oh, one more:

6. Post processing - can you give a general workflow (for a good shot - I know poor shots require extra attention)? I know you don't shoot in RAW (is that still true), so what do you do (in general) to complete your images? Specifically in the "unsharp mask" category. I play around with that a ton, and just haven't found my "go to" settings for that yet.

Thanks!! :)

Anonymous said...

Just a quickie, can you let me know how you made your new watermark? Specifically the long rectangular area that goes across the picture, behind your name. I'm pretty advance when it comes to PS, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make that lightened area over the picture. Thank you so much!!

Anonymous said...

I know you like to hover around 2.0 indoors and 2.8 outdoors. What is your other setting at? Do you zero out your meter, or do you have a go to setting?

Tammy Waida said...

Hi Erin. I already asked a question and I'm not sure if anyone else has asked this one since I didn't read through all of them, but...

How do you organize your photos in PS?

Tanya said...

That's very sweet of you to do the Q&A again! I am interested where you print your photo books that lay flat and have pictures right on the cover without the dust cover. I've been asked to do a photo book and would REALLY love it to turn out great for future customers. If you'd rather email, my email is tanya.blessed@gmail.com

Thanks and very Happy New Year to you all!