
And that she would get to eat the product she was featuring when she was finished. She's all about that. (which, coincidentally, is a phrase she's taken to using lately.)
So in my holiday glee I've been flitting about from store to store and website to website hoping to choose the perfect items for those still on my list. Often (like today) I walk out of the store with items for no one on my list...but myself. Tis the season, right?
We're trying to establish a tradition (borrowed from my friend Nicki from years ago) of giving our children three gifts from Santa Claus, to represent the three gifts given to Jesus by the wisemen. Yes, I realize the bible never actually says how many wisemen there were but it's a nice way to tie in the story nonetheless. And this year we're adding a new tradition - the gift of time. The latest issue of Wondertime (Sharon , I still need your address for your subscription!) had a fabulous article about a family who chose to go this route for their holiday celebrations. The idea behind it is gifting things to your children that require more than a trip to the store and a few bucks. Instead this article highlighted a mom and dad who spent careful time planning and making special gifts they knew their children would enjoy - a homemade children's book with the child as heroine; a mixed CD of favorite tunes, etc.
My mom has been a master of this often over the years. One year for Christmas she bound and restitched my sister's childhood blankie that had been loved to smithereens. She could barely contain her excitement at giving my sister that treasure. I'm finding this year that I too and most excited about giving our children the gifts we're making for them. Sarah will be getting a brand new blog book covering 2007 -she's obsessed with our 2006 version and I know will spend most of January pouring over the new one. Ephraim will finally have the scrapbook from his first year finished and under the tree. Brent will be working on a new video set for each of the kiddos with highlights of their year. I'm also hoping to gift Sarah a new scrapbook and Ephraim a board book filled with faces of babies he knows and loves. I'll be sure to share finished products once it's all said and done.
Of course each of the kids are still getting storebought gifts and stocking stuffers galore but I have a feeling the things they'll still treasure years down the road will be the ones gifted, with love, by time.
22 comments:
I'm yet again in awe of how you find the time to fit it all in! I love all of your gift ideas for the kids--especially the board book of Ephraim's friends. I'm bookmarking this for next year, but I'm going to have to refer to in in August if I have any hopes of completing so much by Dec 25th!
Love your gift of time ideas! You are right, they will cherish those the most. I can't wait to start my blog January 1. You inspired me by showing the blurb book I will be able to make. I can't believe you still remember the 3 Santa gift rule :-). We still hold to it and the boys love it. Even though they know some friends get more from Santa, they know that 3 is all our family needs .
Amy, after we talked the other day I was inspired to get my boo-tay in gear for the blog book. And when I started today I realized I was so much further in in than I thought. I worked for about an hour today and it's done. Woohoo!
Nicki, I'm so excited you're starting a new blog. I can't wait to follow along! You may want to check blurb's site before you start b/c I think they're not slurping from blogger anymore...just typepad and wordpress. Keep that in mind when you make your blogging choice. And girl, if you only knew how much of the things you said I still remember...I had (and have!) so much respect for you so I committed much of it to memory!
What wonderful gift ideas! We do something similar—for the past few years I've taken Maddie to see some sort of performance (i.e. Sesame Street Live was the first one long ago, San Francisco Ballet, a concert at Wolftrap, etc.) as her big birthday gift--she actually asks for this now. Now that Gracie is old enough we can take her too, so part of their Christmas gift this year was to get dressed up and go see the Nutcracker! I'm looking forward to when Bridget is old enough then we can all go as a family to whatever it is we choose, but for now it's reserved for those "big enough" to handle it. : )
HEY. That's me, Elizabeth up there (not Marie), and my sister obviously forgot to sign out when she used my computer this weekend! Ha!
We do the 3 gifts for the wisemen for each child. Have ever since Mazie was born. Mazie and Jamie know what to expect from us and are never overwhelmed with the gifts from us. Gifts from the rest of the family is another story. I love that book idea.
how sweet! not to mention she's holding my favorite candy! and how funny that you guys are doing scrapbooks too! i'm doing one for lawson, plus i'm doing one for seths mom with pictures from all the boys, seths dad had to do some snooping with me to find the pictures!
I wish I had and ounce of the talent and creativity that you have DeeDee! Not to mention the time to implement it. I can't wait to see the finished products and I'm sure your kiddos will treasure them always.
I'm working on a blog book too - you were my inspiration after you shared the one you made earlier in the year. Question - where do you get your board books from? Does Blurb have that option?
Oh no, I just read what you wrote about Blurb not slurping from blogspot. :( I at least have one year slurped. But man, that was so convenient. I'm two years behind and about ready to have baby #2, so I better get busy!
So awesome!!! When do you find time to do all of this? Do you sleep?
Great, thoughtful ideas as always!!
Wish I had half your creative genius. :)
If blurb isn't "slurping" blogger anymore, how did you make your 2nd blog book?? I found this site: http://serv.sharedbook.com/blogworld/printmyblog/index.html
Do you, or anyone else, know anything about it??
Luckily, I had already slurped my book months ago and just hadn't finished formatting it the way I liked. I finally got to that yesterday.
For my next book I'm planning to migrate my blog to typepad and then have blurb slurp it from there. Hope that works! Your link got cut off...mind trying again?
I am another person in awe of you!
Erin, will you let us know if the migration to typepad works? I'm bummed that I didn't slurp our blog in time and am less than thrilled with the other options out there.
THANK YOU!
Monica
It'll probably be a while before I get to the new blog book but I'll definitely let you guys know if it works or not. And, seriously, there's nothing to be in awe of. There are many, many, many things that go undone around here...my house is looking pretty nasty these days!
that's awesome! can't wait to see the gifts if you show them! i really need to make my daughter a mini scrapbook of her last year because she turns 9 on december 24th and i want to celebrate her! please share your scrapbooks!
tara
So are you telling me that since my blog is at blogspot, I can't get it made into a book? If so, I'm seriously bummed...
Wish I had known they weren't going to "slurp" blogger anymore. :( If you switch to typepad, can your whole blog just transfer over there?? Probably not,huh?
Sorry, didn't notice the link got cut off. Let's try again:
http://serv.sharedbook.com/blogworld/printmyblog/index.html
http://serv.sharedbook.com/blogworld/printmyblog/index.html
It really doesn't want to post!
i love the idea for ephraim's board book of babies he knows...how will you do that? I would love to make one for my little girl.
We do three gifts also, but with a twist. The gift of gold is something we know our son really wants, the gift of frankincense is something practical they need like clothes, and the gift of myrrh is the gift of family, so either a handmade item or a special trip out. I want my kids to think of Christmas as a sacred and joyful time of year, not a holiday of excess.
I love your blog. Thanks for inspiring me with your photographs and your funny kids stories.
Post a Comment