Sunday, May 21, 2006

weekend of surprises

What a fabulous weekend this has been.

Last night a bunch of the book club girls surprised Liz for her 30th birthday with a girl's night out to the Golden Bee - a cool little sing-along pub located on the grounds of the oh-so-ritzy Broadmoor Hotel. I have to say, we were all lookin' pretty cute.



And, apparently, I'm not the only one who thought so because a couple of hours into the night we were approached by a brave representative of a table full of Academy cadets. Of course this was hilariously funny being that all but one of us have husbands that teach at the Academy! The poor kid was appalled when we told him this and after several clumsy minutes of small talk he excused himself with some bumbling compliment about how he "hears it's hard to stay in shape" after becoming a mom. We laughed about this for the rest of the night! The moral of this story is: Liz makes 30 look like 21!



Then, after 50 hours of training and five months of weekly lessons, this morning was my commissioning as a Stephen Minister. My friends have been so supportive of my decision to pursue this call and I had invited several of them to attend the service. Brent wanted us to go out to breakfast before church and when we arrived I was so surprised to see several more friends in attendance. So awesome! Brent also surprised me with a Stephen Ministry t-shirt he had ordered weeks ago. I'll certainly never again say he can't surprise me!

Thanks so much, friends, for being part of such a special day for me...I love you guys SO much!


7 comments:

Ashley said...

great pictures- what a fun night you girls must have had!! it's encouraging to hear the girls still get to go out together once this surreal college-life ends. :)

Pink Shoes said...

Congrats on your Stephen Ministry commissioning -- I went to the Leader Training Course last spring and as you know it's a great program!
It looks like y'all had a great time out, too!!

Terry said...

I'm so proud of you, Deed. You will make an awesome Stephen Minister for someone. And sounds like Liz's birthday was a great time too! I love you. Mom

Anonymous said...

Congrats Erin! Sorry I couldn't make it to breakfast. I said a few prayers of thanks because you will be able to help so many people with your Stephen Ministry skills. Your love and support has already touched so many people's lives. Gina

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Ladies, for such a great birthday surprise - I had a blast!
I love you all! Liz
...and you'll never beLIEVE who I saw at the USAFA golf course on Sunday - C1C Flirty Pink Shirt!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your commission. I am also very happy that Brent was finally able to surprise you!

J.J. said...

i just can't say it enough that i LOVE seeing pics of all of you:) congrats on your great accomplishment...