Monday, May 01, 2006

bits and pieces

This post is sure to be a little random so stick with me.

Today I had to say goodbye to Grandma, Aunt Lori, and Meghan. It's hard to believe that the next time I see my sister she'll be a mommy! I'm so excited for Sarah and Charlotte to grow up as cousins and even more excited that Meghan and I will share the bond of having daughters. Can't wait to hold that snuggly, sweet-smelling, warm newborn in my arms and remember my first days with the Pigbear.

Here's what Meghan's looking like these days...





For Grandma's birthday last night we took her out to On The Border for a hearty Mexican meal. I set my camera in the perfect spot for a timed group shot that was almost interrupted by a scurrying waiter carrying a flaming dish of fajitas...



Today I attended a luncheon at the Air Force Academy honoring Brent and 20 other instructors who received the Outstanding Academy Educator Award. I was super proud of him (as always) and thrilled to see him recognized for the hard work he does every day. This was really a prestigious honor and, in my opinion, well-deserved. I like this shot of it because it focuses on the powerpoint slide of him in the background...




And, to complete the days ramblings, I want to brag a little on my 16-year old cousin Noah. This past Saturday evening he took part in a nationwide night walk to raise awareness about the crisis in war-ravaged Uganda. Everyday children there are being forced from their homes and into fighting a war that is not their own, not their choice. You may have seen the story of these "night walkers" recently on Oprah. Over the weekend many youth in our country took part in the Global Night Commute which entailed their own night-walking through downtown city centers, sleeping on the street, and walking back the next morning. I was proud of Noah for being aware, taking a stand, and becoming involved. There are so many ways to make a difference in our world. So many ways to be a catalyst for change. Way to go, Noah.


picture taken March, 06

7 comments:

A.K. said...

What a great blog! So often we focus on one thing that I loved seeing many different parts of your life! Those pictures of your sister are soo great- you must be taking after the website you had in your blog the other day- plus the picture of Brent was awesome. Tell him congrats! I think if you don't go back to teaching you might have to take up photography- you definitely have the talent!

A.K. said...

PS- any chance of ya'll wanting to take a trip to the East Coast this summer? I know a perfect spot on the river that we could all meet up on :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Meghan looks amazing. It looks like you are having a fabulous time at dinner. Congrats to Brent. That is such an honor. And good job to your cousin. There are too few young people aware of what's going on around them. Love seeing all the pictures.
Miss you,
Meg

Anonymous said...

Congrats Brent!!!
- Gina

Anonymous said...

Oh Brent, I am so proud of you. How exciting!
Looks like the girls weekend was a hit.

J.J. said...

way to go brent and noah. and meghan looks AWESOME! such a GIRL belly there:)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Brent! What a wonderful honor.

Meghan makes pregnancy look chic!!

There is nothing like spending time with family...at least you'll get to do it again soon when you welcome Ms. Charlotte into the world!

P.Cobb