Colleen had some of the playgroup girls over for a baby food making party. Think cookie swap with much blander ingredients and lots of pureeing. Four of us in the group are making our baby food at home so we thought it would be fun to get together and mess up Colleen's kitchen (thanks Colleen!). It was such a hit that we're planning to do it every month. Today we each left with baggies full of pureed zucchini, pears, apples, and sweet potatoes.

I'm sure there are many who think moms like us are completely insane to make our own food when it can easily be purchased fast and cheap from the local grocery store. We each have our own reasons for doing it and I love that I know so many other moms that are like-minded in this pursuit.
Another interesting thing about our group is that of the 5 mommies involved, 3 are using cloth diapers with their babies (including me!). Yes, I said cloth diapers. When people discover that the Pigbear sports cloth on her soft little tush I often get looks that clearly say "you don't look like a tree-hugging granola chick to me..." And, I'm probably not your average tree-hugging granola chick. Again, there are a variety of reasons for choosing cloth (including, but not limited to, cost and impact on the environment). And I actually think many more parents would do it if they just knew how convenient the cloth diapers of this generation are. Yes, I just used cloth diapers and convenient in the same sentence. Sarah's diapers are all-in-ones, which feature velcro closures, several layers of absorbent fabric, and a built-in waterproof lining. No pins required. Considered the utmost in ease and convenience. The diapers Krista uses for Leah are an awesome bargain and have only one added step to the all-in-ones - she has to prefold her diapers and insert them into the velcro closure waterproof lining. And Colleen's diapers for Noah are superior to all other cloth diapers in softness and absorbability (is that a word?). Anyway, don't know if there are any new moms, soon-to-be moms, or not-so-soon-to-be moms out there who might benefit from this info but if there are, consider cloth. It's so much easier than you might think!
Okay, that's my two cents on food and diapers. I'll shut up now and leave you with this...

YUM YUM! Eat up, babies!
6 comments:
So I definitely fall under the "WAY not soon to be mom" but I had never thought about using cloth diapers- i just showed my mom (she loves your blog by the way!) and she said that her grandchild will only wear cloth just like her children did... so guess i'll be in your boat one day! How fun though that you could have a party like that. My other question for you- the babyfood in your picture looks really watery- is it that consistency of canned baby food? I can't believe you are making me interested in all this stuff when I"M STILL IN COLLEGE!! what are you doing to me?!! hah! This is why Scott doesn't want us talking all the time! :)
those are some very yellow apples!! what a FUN way to make lots of different baby foods! can't wait to hear the faves. we will have to have a cloth diaper discussion when we come out...i did NOT think they were easy, and i'm clueless on the washing them thing.
That must have been really fun, I love the picture with the green placemat, recipe, and apples. Samantha is seriously concentrating on her green stuff!
They are lucky babies.
Love, Love, Love the pictures!
As far as the diapers go I have used both. I used cloth with Noah and disposable with Aaron. I think if you're a stay at home mom cloth is the way to go but if you're a mom working outside of the house disposable is the way....and that is my two cents!!!
I just have to believe that the baby food you are making is superior to the canned stuff - just has to be. Proud of you gals. What lucky babies!
I thought jarred baby food was expensive...? Anyway, all fresh and natural HAS to be better.
Liz
ps: "absorbability" IS a word, but "absorbency" might be the one you were looking for :)
Post a Comment