Thursday, May 18, 2006

That Cobb Smile

I just received a stack of photos in the mail from Sarah's 6th month. As I was flipping through them I found one picture in particular that startled me, even though I had seen it before. She's wearing a grin that's reserved for special, really exciting occasions (in this case, playing naked on the coffee table) and when I look at her face in this shot I see nothing but Cobb.


There have been many times that Brent and I have stared at Sarah asking, "where did you come from?". There are definitely things about her that clearly come from us but you have to know what you're looking for. She has Brent's narrow feet, my "elf ears", her grandma's long slender fingers but nothing about her that screams Cowan or Cobb. So many babies are "all dad" or "all mom" while Sarah is, well, all Sarah.

So it's refreshing at times to see a picture like this that gives her away as actually being one of us. I love when she pulls out her Cobb smile. When her cheeks push her eyes into flat little crescents, her top lip disappears, and her square Cobb forehead (proudly referred to by the Cobb boys as their "horns") becomes prominent. Her face shape in this picture is all GG (great grandma Cobb) and her excited smile is all Papa - if you were at my sister's wedding you may have seen this exact look on Papa's face during a rousing "Family Tradition" rendition.

I love it. It's all Cobb. And after all, I do love a lot of Cobb's.

Here are some more classic Cobb looks.




(gg, papa, daddy, and uncle tory)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, I see her Papa in that picture, and not just the smile -- looks like "let's get in some trouble" Cobb intention look too!
Love, Grama

Anonymous said...

wonderful collage. classic good looks.

Anonymous said...

Sarah definitely has the Cobb head. That's our legacy. Luckily her horns are not too pronounced. They're feminine horns. I think she has her Mama's eyes though ;)


Uncle T

A.K. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
A.K. said...

I see Brent's smile and your face definitely in all the pictures! But wow she definitely looks like her gg in the picture! what a lucky girl with great genes! ps- still can't seem to get that photo to upload- can't WAIT till i have my own computer up and running in a week!!! this in between housing moving stuff is the pits!

Lori Grimes said...

Yep, It's definitely a Cobb smile all the way.

Dave said...

That was a really neat post...her angel face is Cowan and her devil face is Cobb!...Just teasing, she is sweet no matter what face she is making!