Tuesday, September 02, 2008

blended.

Let's be honest: divorce sucks. But as with many things that aren't so pleasant, there's a silver lining. My parents divorced when I was in high school and have since gone on to marry two incredible people. They both remarried after I was already married so I never had to struggle with step-parenthood or step-childhood or step-siblinghood. I just get to enjoy my parents and their spouses for the amazing people that they are. As an added bonus my kids have 6 grandparents to dote on them. I'm sure one day they'll realize who's blood and who's not but by then they'll have been enveloped in mushy grandparent love for so long that it won't even matter. It's all the same to them which makes it all the same to me.

The point of this is to say that we just got back from spending the long weekend with my mom and her husband and my stepsister and her son. And I was reminded how cool blended families can be. Sarah and Brody had a two day headstart at Grama and Grandad's house and were in cousin heaven!

They spent hours on the screened in back porch...







Tooled around a bit in Grandad's old truck...







Played with playdough and dominoes...









And wore Grama and Grandad out!




My mom has been threatening for years to hold a "Camp Grama" with my Aunt Lori as a camp counselor and all the potty-trained cousins as campers. Since we missed Charlotte and Aunt Lu this weekend it was really just a mini Camp Grama. The kids had a ball though and this mama loved the break!









Here's to silver linings!

16 comments:

Jennie said...

Looks like a fun weekend! And OMG - I had that same Cabbage Patch Kid when I was a kid! :-)

erin said...

Which one, the curly headed little guy? That was MINE 25 years ago! :) His name was Conrad. Man I loved that little dude.

Terry said...

Great pics, Deed. We had a wonderful time with you guys and the kiddos. Looking forward to next time! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Deed - did Grama Dixie buy Conrad for you? Because about 25 years ago she bought one for Aunt Lu and I! Of course, we were young adults by then but we still liked them. Tyler even played with mine for a few years - only because it was a boy doll of course.

Looks like the kids really enjoyed themselves!!

Neurotic Atty said...

I had the same Cabbage Patch, too! His name was Benjamin Gibb. (Why can I remember HIS full name, but not the names of the new girls in the Junior League?)

I didn't have any step-siblings or parents myself, but my older cousin had a step-daughter my age. I knew all along that she was a step, but I never described her that way. She was always just my cousin Nicole. After her mom and my cousin divorced (when we were in high school), I had to remind myself that she wasn't my cousin at all. So you're right, it doesn't matter at all.

Love the pig-tailed bangs, by the way!

Megan said...

Looks like a fun weekend. It's great with the kids get along. Makes it fun for everyone.

Kristin said...

Love the whale spout! Are you growing out Bangs. My 8 yr old had a whale spout for like 6 months when she was 2 and we were growing out bangs!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, how great she (and Ephraim) have so many grandparents who love them! 2 lucky kiddos!
I also love the fact that Sarah is always playing with some of YOUR old toys, that is awesome!

Samantha said...

Brody is SUCH a cutie! Terry, can Caroline come to camp grandma too?

Anonymous said...

how fuN!
tara

Anonymous said...

You certainly have a gift Erin. The photos and words certainly captured the weekend.

And Terry says Caroline can come to Camp Grandma.

Granddad

Meghan said...

jealous, jealous, jealous...all i have to say 'bout dat.;) looks like you guys had fun and especially the kids! Conrad and Rex Im sure had a "big time" themselves. We Missed you.

jeramy sossaman said...

what a fantastic outlook! looks like a fun weekend full of memories....awesome!

Jennie said...

Yup, Conrad it is! Couldn't remember his name, so you are better than me! :-) I wish I had saved more of my toys than I did...especially that one! :-) I was the only one of my friends that had a boy, but I sure loved him.

Shelley said...

Family is such a beautiful and important part of our lives...You are fortunate with your blended family to have even more love to go around.

Beautiful photos as always!

Wendy said...

I had a cabbage patch, but don't remember her name. Honestly my favorite toys that I have for the kids are those old fashioned fisher price village and little people. I love those. Gorgeous pics as always!