Sunday, September 28, 2008

in memory.

His name was Christian.

His grandfather was a spiritual mentor of mine, his mother an acquaintance. We were both pregnant with our first children and would often grin and admire each other's bellies in passing. In October Sarah was born and he was expected three months later.

Thanksgiving came. Christmas. And then, a handful of days before his due date, Christian was born -- still. Even now, coming up on three years later, typing those words takes my breath away. As a new mother still riding the wave of adrenaline and hormones and exhaustion I couldn't wrap my brain around such a loss despite the countless nights I lay awake trying. I still can't.

His mother and I became friends that winter, meeting for lunch and coffee and trips to the cemetery. Our conversations were punctuated by tears and questions. How? and Why? And Where is God? Timidly over lunch one day she said, almost whispering, "I have a picture. If you want to see it." And of course I did. Every new mother deserves to pass around photographs of her beautiful child, and this was no exception.

The polaroid told what I already knew would be true by looking at his mother - he was beautiful. All 8 1/2 pounds of him. A big, strapping, tragically-lost baby boy. But now, for his mother, the only physical reminder of those details was held in 2 or 3 polaroids snapped by hospital staff. She carried each of them in her purse. And she sat at lunch that day sobbing silently about how she never unwrapped him and looked at his feet. And she'll never get that chance again.

The heartbreaking truth of that story replays itself daily, hourly around our country. Even in 2008. According to the March of Dimes 1 in 200 babies are born still.

I was profoundly affected by Christian's birth and death. Several months later I heard about an organization called Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep and knew working with them would be the way I would honor his mother's pain and his memory. Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep has made it their mission to make sure that families in the throws of such loss leave the hospital with more than a grainy, temporary polaroid in their purse. Professional photographers like myself from around the country volunteer to photograph and preserve the memories of these beautiful children. I had my first call three weeks ago - twin girls - and my heart stopped. But the heart-wrenching time I spent with those girls was tempered by the knowledge that this family would have images of their babies to hold dear.

And before I left the hospital that day I did something with Christian and his mother, my friend, in mind. I carefully unwrapped each of those tiny baby girls, and photographed their feet.


As proclaimed by President Reagan in 1988, October is recognized as Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month. The Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep Foundation holds its Annual Fund Drive for six weeks starting in mid-September and ending in October. If you are in a place to make even a small contribution to NILMDTS, please know that doing so will continue to allow the organization to provide improved resources, training, communication, and other tools necessary in support of the professional photographers who provide the gift of free remembrance portraiture to families in need. Click here to read more about this campaign and to donate.

41 comments:

Jenn McPherson said...

Erin, I actually saw a special about this a while back. I think it is amazing. Very courageous of you. I have chills. God always has a plan. Although I can not understand nor imagine what these mothers go through it is comforting to know that they have images to reassure them that they are mothers. They carried those children. On the special all the mothers were glad they had pictures. They needed the reminder and so did the other family members to honor their child. I know that was a very emotional experience for you as a photographer...your most treasured images to date.

Anonymous said...

You are truly an amazing women to give your time and talent to those who have lost a child. I know it must have been hard, but you put your emotions aside to capture the only moments the parents will ever have with their child/children.

I sobbed reading your story thinking of every day I have with my two little boys. To even think a child was taken away from someone else is so wrong.

Keep doing what you are doing and most of all cherish every moment with your little ones.

Anonymous said...

A woman I use to work with returned to her native Canada to start her own family close to loved ones. Sadly, the baby was still-born at term. She's doing better now, but I'm sure it will affect her forever. (Meg made her wedding dress!)

My own mother had twins who did not survive and to my knowledge there is nothing to remember them by. Aunt Lu and I found their tiny grave markers one day in the infant section of a local cemetary and put flowers there.

What you're doing is so compassionate and selfless - so typically "you". You can bet I'll be visiting the site and making a donation. Thank you for being you and doing what you do. You help make other people strive to be a little bit better and I'm honored to be your friend.

Anonymous said...

I'm also a volunteer with NILMDTS. I haven't gotten a call yet, and to be honest, I'm terrified to. As a mother, just *thinking* about something like that is unimaginable, much less seeing it and witnessing the pain and sorrow of parents who never get to know their children. I'm so happy to see that this organization is becoming so popular. Although those angels are back with God or only on this earth for a short amount of time, they make a huge impact on the people who love them. Memories fade, and that's why I appreciate NILMDTS so much. Very touching post, Erin.

Dawn said...

Hi Erin, I am so glad that there is such a foundation. I am so sorry to hear of your friends loss. I lost a child 5 years ago to preterm labor. She was 1lb 5oz and lived for 15 days. I don't have many pictures of her, but I wish every day I did. I wish this were around then.

Tina said...

These type of stories touch me so deeply. I can't imagine the pain these families go through. God Bless you for the gift you've given that family. I know they won't ever forget it.

April said...

Thanks for sharing this story. I had not heard of this organization. I can only imagine how hard this was for you to do. I had tears in my eyes reading this. I'm so glad that you are able to do this for the parents that have lost these sweet babies!

Jonathan's Mommy said...

Erin, you are incredible person to offer your time and talents to these families at their darkest hour. I cannot imagine the pain of losing a child, just reading your story brings me to tears. I read of this organization in People a while back and I think it's amazing.

I don't think, as a parent, that you can ever get over the death of a child, but you are giving those parents an amazing gift.

Megan said...

Christian's mama was very lucky to have you. I have a friend who had the same thing happen. She went all the way to her actual due date and had to give birth to her still born baby boy. She has the same polaroid pictures and keeps them with her. I think of her every Easter and how she can never see her son find Easter eggs like my kids. Then I have to squeeze mine a little longer than normal because it's just so overwhelming. Good for you for helping other parents in this situation. You really are just a wonderful person and I'm glad you are my friend!

the larsons said...

Tears falling over here too. I saw a video online not too long ago about this type of work and it was beautiful but heartwrenching. What a life changing experience for everyone involved, including you. Wow.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this.

I too have recently looked into joining; your experience has encouraged me that it is the right thing to do, no matter how hard it is.

Kimberly said...

Ok...now I'm sobbing. Erin, god has definitely given you a gift and it is so wonderful that you can use that gift to help others in such difficult times.

Sarah said...

Thanks for doing what you do, Erin. When I was pregnant with my 2nd, my sister was pregnant with her first. Sadly, when she was 29 weeks along her doctor was unable to find a heartbeat. We didn't know about NILMDTS then, and I so wish we would have.

My sister is now the mother of a healthy, happy, beautiful baby boy - but it's terribly sad for both of us to see my younger daughter growing up and know that her cousin would've been only a couple of weeks older.

You're amazing to do what you're doing - I know it can't be easy. Thank you for being willing to share your talents to give these families such an amazing gift.

Jennifer said...

Erin, what a wonderful blessing and a gift you are for these families in their time of need. What a special purpose you have been given in these moments.

Anonymous said...

Erin, I also had a friend who lost a child 2 weeks before her due date.She also only has a couple of pictures of her "Grace". We attended the funeral and it was the hardest thing in my life I have experienced. The pictures of the feet are such a great way to remember the child. I remember what a photographer told me when we had Sara's 1 year picture done he said "these are the most amazing and honest pictures you will ever have of your children - the pitter patter of little bare feet". Who knew how much that it would mean to a parent with a healthly child. You are a God send for these parents, as with a few pictures they will remember their special child for life.

Amy said...

Oh, you are an angel. I'm so happy you got involved in this wonderful organization. It's just heart-wrenching to think about a mother going through that.

Thank you for putting it out there for all of us to know about.

La maman de MaƩ et de Loan said...

Thanks for sharing this story...
You're really a special personn, an angel...
Sand

{The Tresslers} said...

We talked about what makes a person "holy" in my church yesterday. When I read this, it reminds me of that. You bring joy to people, you are a "whole" person. You give so much for so many people who you don't even know. You are holy and the people you touch daily are the ones who are blessed.

Anonymous said...

I am practically speechless (and crying). What a wonderful gift to give to someone who has suffered such a profound loss. You and your friend are in my prayers.

Tammy Waida said...

You are such a special person. My heart goes out to those mothers who have a lost a child. I can't even begin to imagine what that feels like. What a gift you have given them. Your story makes me want to hold my girls even tighter and never let go.

Anonymous said...

That is so wonderful Erin...you are wonderful! :-)

As soon as I read this , I wondered if you had read the blog...Bring The Rain...you must check it out and read about their sweet baby girl Audrey and look their beautiful photos that were taken. Theya re an amazing family, their faith is so inspiring.

http://audreycaroline.blogspot.com/

Susie said...

this is such an awesome organization- I love what it stands for. I hope to someday join you in giving to parents something, SOMEthing to treasure after going through this. Your heart is amazing, Erin.

Lisa said...

What an amazing gift you are giving!

SarahK said...

What a beautiful story- even thought so tragic. I am a new Mommy as well and can'[t imagine what Christian's Mom must be going through. What a true friend you are to her- she is lucky to have you in her life!
Prayers to Christian's family and those you come in contact with. What a ministry you are providing.
Sarah

Anonymous said...

that was a touching blog entry....may your friend's son always be remembered.

Moments Photography said...

You are an amazing person. It brought tears just reading this story, my heart truly goes out to all those who suffer such unbearable losses. Such a truly remarkable idea of offering photographic services to those so caught up in their loss... Thank you for bringing attention to this matter! I am going to approach my local hospital and see if I would be able to offer my services...

Joey said...

Erin, Erin, Erin. You are a true artist. Your writing in this post is just as beautiful as any pictures you have taken. The way you put this story into words was absolutely beautiful! You are such a special person. Thank you for sharing this story. Of course, like everyone else, you left me with goose bumps and tears. Thank you again for sharing.

Anonymous said...

this grieves me so deeply. i can hardly bare the thought of this, much less wrap my heart and mind around the depth of this kind of loss.

i think it is incredible that you would share your gift in this special way.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful way to remember such a tragic time. Words always felt so inadequate when I would care for new mom's who had lost their babies but beautiful photos are the perfect tribute.
Colleen

Janelle Anderson said...

You gave me the chills. I too remember the story of your friend losing her baby...especially having Lucas just months before.

I too saw a special on this organization a while back and instantly thought of you. I think it slipped my mind to ask if you would ever do this kind of photography but then again, I already knew the answer. I almost took up photography just for this very reason and I feel very passionate about the cause. I AM SO HAPPY YOU ARE HELPING THESE WOMEN AND MEN AND FAMILIES. It could happen to any of us and being pregnant makes it even more real for me. THANK YOU ERIN! YOU ARE AN ANGEL AND YOU ARE MAKING A DIFFERENCE IN NUMEROUS LIVES, IN NUMEROUS WAYS!

Thank you!
Love, Janelle

Anonymous said...

I'm sitting here reading this touching post while holding my 2-year old in my lap. While we've gone through some horrible things with her diagnosis and everything, I still thank God every day that she is HERE. We get to enjoy her laugh, her smile, her love every single day. And there are too many people who don't get that--their children are taken too soon. I can't even wrap my head around what those parents and families must go through, but my heart and prayers go out to them. Thank you for thinking of those people in need of lasting, loving memories.

Carrie said...

Erin, You truely are a gift. I have had experience with losing a child on three different levels. I saw my aunt go through the difficulty of having to carry a child to term knowing that she would not live past 24hrs. old. She doesn't have any pictures of sweet Allison. I, myself, lost a baby. The heartache that comes along with it is just beyond what can be described. I have also seen the devistation as a nurse. In all realms it is a horrible tragedy but people like you that make this donation of your time for such a beautiful purpose truly make a huge difference to these families.

J.J. said...

i love you my friend. i'm so glad you are doing this.

Meghan said...

Once again your heart and strength astound me,sis.

liz said...

Love you, Erin.

Mom2Drew said...

My Kendall was born still back in 2005...not a day goes by when I don't think of her.

I have since also joined NILMDTS and am so grateful to give back in such a personal/painful way.

Thank you for your post about it...I hope more people become aware.

Katie said...

Oh what a wonderful and thoughtful organization! No one could ever imagine being in that situation, but how comforting to have someone there to capture those last moments with your child. What an amazing gift you are providing these families. They will forever be grateful for your service to this beautiful organization!

Aunt H said...

Thank you so much for your beautiful post....you've inspired me to volunteer for the March of Dimes. I adore babies and it breaks my heart to think of people who lose their little ones.

You are an amazing person and I have no doubt you will never be forgotten in the eyes of those parents!

Alicia said...

Thank you for taking pictures of baby's feet! It is a picture that I wish that I had too! I know that family will cherish the pictures that you took forever! You do a great job. Oh how I wish that something like that would have been offered to me with Ben. Thank you for offering to take those pictures for families!!

Ali said...

God bless you!

Jennifer said...

This brought chills and a wave a sadness to me. My sister lost a baby boy at full term last year. We have one picture of him all wrapped up in a blanket that my Dad took with his digital camera. No one knew if it was the right thing to do or even if it was ok. I'm not sure if my sister still looks at the photo- I know it is painful for her- but I just want to say thank you for what you are doing for these families. My sister is still in a world of hurt over losing her son and I know that one thing that helps her is just that people acknowledge what happened. What you are doing will help these families. You are brave. Thanks.