Sunday, October 26, 2008

the royal teaparty.

I realized when I was preparing images for this post that I never posted a shot of Sarah's birthday invite. I accidentally deleted the actual invitation from my hard drive but here's the image I used on the front...


The tagline said, "Nobody likes a pouty princess...So don't even think about missing my party!"
Anyway, it was a royal tea party and all the children were invited to dress up. I was really hoping to make the day special for all of the guests...not just for the birthday girl. When Sarah's first little friend bounded up to the door dressed in pink from head to toe with a HUGE grin on her face I knew it would be!

My dad and stepmom arrived on Thursday and were a huge help getting everything ready. Before Thursday evening I hadn't done a thing besides a quick trip to the Dollar Tree for goodies. After the kids went to bed Friday night we had a blast working in the kitchen on all the food, treat bags, cupcakes and tidbits. Well, *I* had a blast...I guess I shouldn't speak for everyone else! ;)

First, the table...
We had tea sandwiches (peanut butter/honey and nutella/banana), dipped pretzels, cupcakes, candy, and cookies. For the record I did buy cherry tomatoes but I forgot to put them out. At least I thought about offering a healthy alternative, right?

I loved having the chance to use some of my grandmother's milk glass. I'm addicted to it and pull it out every chance I have. I found the princess placemats at the Dollar Tree and bought enough to send one home with every child...even our two knights in shining armor.


I had waaaay too much fun rolling these cupcakes.


Does anyone else remember these frosting-dipped circus cookies with sprinkles? I saw a bag at the commissary and practically squealed with glee. They were a staple at my grama's house growing up. My mom says she remembers them from her childhood too but that they looked more like animals and had better sprinkles back then. I mean way back then. =)


SEE! I told you we had knights!


Forgive the group shot. I was in mom mode, not photog mode. But they're still stinkin' cute, wouldn't you say?

The gift opening was a hit, of course. Art supplies were the gift of the day and Sarah couldn't have been happier about that. The girl LOVES her some paint.

We made wands for party favors. We being my stepmom. We were fabulous at it. Thanks we.


They were a hit too.


Have you noticed how all the little girls wore crowns? Sarah had a special "birthday girl" crown but she would have nothing to do with it. I thought when all her friends arrived donning their own she would change her mind but apparently peer pressure has no hold on her yet.



After the hoopla was over I asked Sarah in a quiet moment what her favorite part of the day was. I didn't really need to ask. I already knew: eating cupcakes.



And finally, the aftermath.

Thank goodness we had another set of grandparents to help with clean up duty!
The only thing missing from our perfect day was a visit from Aunt MayMay and Charlotte. My sister has been planning on coming for months but she got bumped from her standby flight and they didn't make it. Don't worry though Meghan, we ate enough cupcakes for both of you!

35 comments:

La maman de Maé et de Loan said...

WAOUUUUUUUUUUUUU this is a princess dream to have a birthday like this!!! If my lil girl see this party, I'll have to do the same one for her (she'll have 3 in december)!!!

It look like a really amazing day, sure she'll remember this day... You're an amazing mom! Do you give some courses LOL!

Thanks to share, it's always a pleasure!!!

French mom

La maman de Maé et de Loan said...

I forgot to say how cute is your Sarah! And I DREAM to make cupcakes like this! In France, nobody knows how doing this! I would love to have the secret!!!!!

Samantha said...

Ahem, something else WAS missing from that party - Sarah's bff. Love you guys, hate that we weren't there. :(

Megan said...

What a princess party! Sarah looks like she has a wonderful time. Happy Birthday!

Chris said...

Beautiful pictures. I always have such a difficult time taking pictures before/during/after the party. I'm so jealous.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEET SARAH!
We were thinking of you all day (Lily's been asking to talk to Sarah all weekend--we'll catch you on Tuesday!). How cute you look and those wands are precious!

Love,
Aunt P, Uncle T, and Lily

Susie PSU said...

I'm with Samantha. My first thought was it was a shame a certain blonde cutie couldn't be there!

What a fun pary, Erin! You did a great job. And I love the birthday crown!

Anonymous said...

wow! these are priceless!
what great light and gorgeous fairy tale images!
what a fab. mom & photographer you are!
tara

Anonymous said...

happy birthday princess pigbear!!! what a fun party. Was prince B-ro there too? those treats look amazing.

Mary V

Anonymous said...

We had the time of our life!!! So glad we were witness to 'royalty' first hand. Thanks for allowing us to be a part of the fun :}

Nana & Grandaddy

Mommy Shar said...

I love love love the pics,super cute.. if/when I have a girl I will have to keep this cute party idea in mind. BTW I thought you might be interested in knowing that Grandma's cookies ( the pink circus cookies with sprinkles you served) is going out of business. If you like their cookies you better splurge while you still can.

Meghan said...

we were so sad to miss you too :(
we were definitely ther in spirit.
love you,
-Meg and Charlotte

Colleen said...

What a gorgeous party! Looks like everyone had a blast being princesses/knights for a day...

Happy Birthday, Sarah!!

Shannon K. said...

How sweet! Katie is having a Fancy Nancy party (I think) so I may borrow some of your ideas. :) Now if I can figure out how to incorporate the boys since all of Katie's friends are boys!

mandy said...

oh man, I hate we missed it (again!) Looks fabulous...any cupcakes left??

Anonymous said...

Lily has the same question as Mary v:

Where was B-Ro? Did he dress up too?

Anonymous said...

Wonderful documentation of her party Erin! Just love the photos - she'll treasure looking back on all this someday!

Kelly Kuntz said...

love love love! You always throw the best parties! I love that you had a big photo printed from her princess shoot. If this whole photography thing doesn't work out you could go into party planning ;-)

My sister told me a nasty rumor... they stopped making those animal cookies!

Anonymous said...

Looks like the little ones had a blast. Love all the decorations and food!

By the way I love your dining room chairs. May I ask where you bought them?
Tracy

Anonymous said...

What a fab looking party!

I love those circus cookies too and am sooooo bummed they're going to be gone forever.

Neurotic Atty said...

What a great party! And I love, love, love the party invitation picture! I'm glad Sarah had such a wonderful birthday and that her mommy had such a wonderful time preparing it and enjoying it with her!

Anonymous said...

A royal ball that any princess would love! You're an amazing mom. Hope your little Prince enjoyed himself too. Amy T.

Marla said...

Happy birthday to Princess Sarah!! Looks like you did a fabulous job on the party and they must have had a wonderful time! Great idea.

Janelle Anderson said...

Happy Birthday Sarah! Let Lucas know if you were missing anything from your Princess Present collection. He has a birthday package headed your way although it is a little late.

Beautiful party!

Jeanelle said...

HOW AWESOME!!!!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a wonderful party! Happy 3rd Birthday Sarah! Was looking for Caroline too and as I scrolled down and saw blond hair, I thought for sure it was her...until I scrolled a bit more. Will have to check your photos for ideas in 3 months as I plan for my first girl birthday party. :) Colleen W.

Katie said...

Oh what a lovely party! Such great ideas Erin! Happy Birthday Sarah, looks like it was simply wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Wow.

I, at 29, am very jealous of that princess party :) I may ask my husband to do some similar theme for my 30th next year ;)

I bet they had a blast!

Kelli @ WhimsiKel said...

I saw at least one person already told you the sad truth - they stopped making those animal cookies! So if you see them again, I recommend buying more. Much like the year I bought a year's supply of cadbury mini eggs and stored them in the freezer. Just for emergencies. :)

Becky said...

I LOVE those iced animal cookies!! YUM.
I'm from Canada and we can't get them here...so everytime I go down to the states I stock up. I have two bags sitting in the pantry right now. They are not just for youngin's!!

BEAUTIFUL pictures as always, what a fun party!

Anonymous said...

This is soooo adorable! Lovely!

I have a question for you Erin: I see in the background a photo collage...I'm assuming this is on a canvas or something? How did you do this?

erin said...

Sorry I'm late answering questions you guys. THANKS for all the kind words. This was such a fun party to put together!

Sand, the cupcakes were actually pretty easy. I just used a mix and baked the cupcakes. Then I iced them with decorator icing (google a recipe). After icing them I rolled the edges in various sprinkles and colored sugars that I had on a plate. Then I added a sour cherry ball to the top. I wanted the look of simple, classic cupcakes.

For those that asked, yes, B-Ro was there too. I think he was a little weirded out by all the commotion though so he just hung with the grandparents the whole time.

Tracy, the dining room chairs and table were from a little independent store in CO but I think they're fairly common. My first hunch would be to try Crate and Barrel.

Michelle, it's a collage I had printed on canvas. It's 3ftx3ft and I had it printed with a pro canvas lab. Email me if you want to know exactly where. Otherwise try simplycanvas.com which is a non-pro lab I believe.

So sad to know that the cookies are going to be extinct. I had NO idea! That makes me even happier that I found a bag for the party though!

angela | the painted house said...

What a beautiful party! Happy birthday, Sarah!

Shana-Lynn said...

Gosh, that looks like a FUN party! You did a great job with the setup!!

Anonymous said...

Holy Moly! Check out that party! Love the invite. How can you not smile when you get that in the mail? Or dare miss a party like this? What a wonderful mom you are. :)