Monday, November 05, 2007

FAQ's

Some of you might have noticed the little "Your Questions, Answered" link in the sidebar. Well I've been informed that it's time to update! Besides, I need something to pass the next 2-3 weeks before baby boy arrives. So if you have any questions photography related (or even not) post them in the comments and I'll give it my best shot. Check out the link first though to make sure your question isn't already there. I'm working on a little action to share (FREE! You guys know how I like FREE!) for those of you that have full versions of photoshop but I don't know how to post it here. If anyone knows, feel free to share your knowledge!

And if anyone besides me and Samantha are counting, it's exactly 23 hours and 59 minutes until Samantha and Kiki arrive! HOORAY!

And because a pictureless post is just no fun, check out this one of Sarah hoarding her letters in the tub!


18 comments:

A.K. said...

wow, this is the first time ever i've been the first to comment on your post! i left you a message on "your questions, answered" so head on over and check it out!

brandy said...

YEAH, for the update! I have already gave a few questions, but I'm sure to come up with a few more. I just love your pics!

*OK, do you EVER use a flash?
*Do you still only use a 85mm, majority of the time?

I'M SO EXCITED ABOUT THE SHARING! Wish I was good at something to share with you:)

Adrienne said...

What steps do you take in PS to edit your pictures.

Can you post a before and after of a photo you have edited

Anonymous said...

Caroline is most definitely counting. I'm counting how many times she can say "I want to go to Sarah's house" before I lose my mind.

Anonymous said...

Could you post a few photos SOOC sometime along with your photoshopped version? I always like to compare my before shots with someone who knows what they're doing because I'm not that good at PS yet. Thanks!

Jamie said...

I'm dying to know how you edit your photos, and just hoping so hard that your free actions will make mine look half as good as yours. :)

Amy said...

Don't worry, I'm counting down the time, too! Please please please post some pics of those girls together ASAP (oh, and of you 2 big girls together, too!)

Okay, a few photog questions:
-That pesky flash. . . I try to turn it off, but sometimes that results in blurry pics since my main subject is pretty mobile. I figure, better to get a sharp pic with flash than a very blurry one without. What's your take? And then, once I have the photo with flash is there a good (simple/easy) way to make it look a little less harsh using PS? (did you use a flash in the pic of Sarah in the tub? If not, how did you get it so sharp in the odd lighting of a bathroom?)

-Second question is on converting to B&W in PS. I followed Kelby's directions using Levels>Gradient Map>adjusting the Red color channel, then green, then blue. Do you have a better way? And how do you do them with the hint of brown (like the ones of Sarah sitting on the SF trail?)

Thanks for the help this morning :-)

Chris said...

Do you prefer to shoot at client's homes or out on location? Why? And I signed up with Wendy, I'm starting on February!

Anonymous said...

so usually im just a stalker of your blog (just found it a couple of weeks ago on 2peas), but i had to post today cause i was so excited to see that you were doing another faq. love love love your pics. and your daughter is just ADORABLE. n.e.way, i have a 9 month old and i just got my first slr and have been doing a lot of experimenting. im doing okay when i shoot outdoors but am having a hard time indoors. so do you have any good old tips + tricks for shooting indoors, particularly when using window light only? what is good lighting? how do you position for good lighting? etc. etc. etc. thanks so much!!!!!!

Tasha said...

Ok, I'm going to go out on a limb here and ask 2 questions. One being well, maybe a bit intrusive but feel free to answer frankly I'm a big girl and can take rejection.

1. Any PS tips you can give, I feel all over the place with editing. I'm into editing fast but still want a nice crisp look. (excited about our action) And Actions man anything you've got on them would be great.

2. GULP!!! been meaning to ask!!! I will be starting a couple of reads on photography and PS editing for photographers. I am a HUGE fan of your pics and well I just love looking at them soooo, well, um, I was wondering, if YOU have ever considered mentoring yourself (you maybe already) I know you highly recommend Wendy, but um what about you? Of course well after your babe arrives!

Anonymous said...

I have 2 questions for you:

1. How do you do your vignettes?

2. What major differences have you noticed between your XT and 5d? I'm talking picture quality and ease of use. I am toying with the idea of upgrading myself but I'd like to hear from someone who's done it. Thanks!

Colleen said...

I can't wait to see pics of those two together! I hope Sarah and Caroline have fun... (do I even need to say that? :) )

Shannon K. said...

Very cool!

1. I would like to know some of your baby/todder tricks, as far as getting them to look at you, sit still, smile. I have some up my sleeve, but am always looking for new ideas and everyone seems to tackle it differently!

2. The lighting on your pictures makes my jaw drop. It's been asked already but do you ever use flash indoors? If not do you use a high ISO and then noiseware? Or do you just have spectacular light every day all day??? :) Your pictures always look flawless!

3. Do you prefer color or black and white? Just curious.

4. Is the 50mm 1.4 still your fav indoor lens? What do you use outdoors?

Ok all done! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Holy cow Erin! You should keep busy with all those questions!! Now are you sorry you asked?! haha

Janice said...

Hey, Erin!

Ok, my question is, if you are going to purchase another lens, what would it be?

Thanks for letting us be nosy! :-P

Anonymous said...

glad im not too late. i have one more question. do you ever use a reflector? and if so, what kind? thanks so much for sharing.

Amy in GA said...

Gosh, what great questions!! All mine have been asked already, so I'll just sit and patiently wait. :) Thanks so much, Erin!!

Amy in GA said...

Ok - I lied. Thought of one that was not asked (I don't think so, anyway). What are your thoughts on tripods? I know they can really help get that tack sharp photo, but with toddlers, can't they be more of a hindrance? So as the mom of a toddler that takes amazingly sharp photos, how often do YOU use a tripod?

Oh, and I would TOTALLY be interested if you agree to Tasha's proposition!! ;)