Sunday, January 07, 2007

snowy vision

For sometime now I've been wanting to drag Brent and Sarah out to the snowy Academy for some pics. I've had the vision in my head of what I wanted and yesterday we were finally able to make it happen. Hat and scarf courtesy of Nana, sweater from Aunt Lu (gotta love family that keeps the little one stylin'). We sat in traffic for quite sometime and almost missed the sun completely but ended up with about 15 minutes worth of light so I made the best of it! Check out the pics and then I'll get on to answering the questions some of you asked...



Okay, here goes...

Lyndsay, yes, I'm a canon girl and just recently upgraded from the Rebel to the 5d (just like you!) Couldn't be happier about that decision. Thanks Santa!!

Audrey, I know you didn't have a question...just wanted to say THANK YOU!

Tasha, I have a few lenses but my favorites are the standard 50mm/1.4 and 85mm/1.8. Like everyone, I'm drooling over some L lenses but those will have to wait until the aforementioned Santa Claus forgets about this year's big ol' hangin gift. No formal training, just a whole lot of reading online and in books. I've learned a ton from the twopeas photog message board and ILP. But I've gotten far and away the most valuable information and insight from my mentor, Wendy. Nothing beats one on one critique from a pro...especially when you're lucky enough to find one that also happens to have a great personality and a killer sense of humor. It's just an all around good thing. Definitely check out the sites I mentioned and just keep stalking blogs...it'll help develop your eye and your own style. And ask lots of questions! (see, you're already on the right track!). And the house cleaning thing...girl I'm laughing out loud! That's called "hurry and push all the baby junk OUT of the frame of view!"

Alix...I hope the above helped a little...just keep pushing the shutter.

Jaidean...I use the 50mm almost exclusively on the inside shots. I just don't have enough room in here to whip out the 85. Hopefully in the summer the 85mm will get some more practice!

Kristin...we are HUGE fans of baby sign in our house. Sarah wasn't an early talker but she had lots to say, you know? So signing has been awesome for us. I read Baby Signs when Sarah was about 6 months old and it gave us all the info we needed to get started. It's less than $15.00 and definitely worth the investment. No need for the videos, flashcards or any of that other jazzy stuff. Just read the book for the basics and take it from there. It's SO fun to see her communicating with us!

Okay, I think I covered everything. Chime in if I missed something!

16 comments:

A.K. said...

the one of her falling down is priceless!

Dave said...

Love the ones with the tree in background, very earthy, the colors are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Hey Erin,
First I want to say Congrats to you and your family on the BabyGap Model winner...Miss PigBear, she, along with the rest of your family is adorable. I also have a question I see in your profile that you were a former kindergarten teacher, and now a stay at home mom, will you ever go back to teaching?
MARIE

Anonymous said...

Erin - I am so loving these photos!!
I want an L series too - saving the $$ for this though .. it might be a while before I get it ..
I have to say A HUGE THANK YOU for posting about Wendy before she had her pre-session registration out!!
The course has not even started yet - And I already have learned a lot... we had a pre-assignment that I took part in .. I am so impressed with her. She is nice and funny .. and I just love the way she critiques our photos.. She is an excellent teacher .. and I would recommend her to anyone ..
So - I can see now - why you are as good as you are!! Again Thank you.
Well - gotta go visit some more Blogs ..
Take care, Julie

Anonymous said...

Love the photos, Erin! That little outfit with the hat and scarf are just too darling! Love the colors! Hope you all are doing well! :)

Anonymous said...

Good morning Erin. Thanks for answering all these questions. There's no need to email me back as I believe you've answered most of my questions here. It's good to know I'm not the only one wondering about your equipment and style! Great pictures by the way, I love the one of her tasting the snow. Beautiful colors as always. Thanks again!

Joyce said...

Oh, I just love these pictures...with such clarity! Sarah and Brent are so photogenic. Would love to see MOM in some photos.
Love You...

Anonymous said...

Hello! Found your blog from a friend who's daughter was also a Gap finalist. congrats!!! Love your pictures! Do you use any photoshop actions, or tips you can share? I love the colors/lighting effects you have. Are the picts like that out of the camera? I'm new to SLRs(rebel xti) and am learning quickly :)

J.J. said...

love the GREAT snowy shots! that snow is a great reflector! and i'll chime in about signing...two words - SIGNING TIME!

Kathy P said...

Firstly, congrats on the Baby Gap contest! That's so cool! She's such a cutie! I wonder if they'll use the same ad campaign with her pictures in Canada? I'll let you know if I see them!

Secondly, wonderful pictures! I love your creativity!

Thirdley, I would just like to second what julie has already said.Thanks so much for pointing me in the direction of Wendy. I can already say that it's going to be a wonderful three months of learning with her.

Audrey said...

Gorgeous photos Erin, your color pop makes me drool!!! She's so adorable. Glad you had the roads cleared off enough to get some photos.

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!!

Have you been playing with the 5D a lot? I'm presently stalking the UPS guy who should have been here by now with mine!! I'm dying to play!

Anonymous said...

More Snow? Once again Lily was treated to a short-sleeved walk around the block. She can't wait to meet you!

Susie PSU said...

OK, what happened to your other commentors? The ones I know?? Or at least feel like I know!

:-)

Amy said...

Here's a commentor you know, Susie! These shots came out great--I really love Sarah's hat and sweater against the neutral background colors. Amazing what you can capture in just a few short minutes!

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh, thanks so much. Very helpful. I will definitely check out the sites. I guess I'll have to use the pushing the baby stuff out of the way method more often...LOL.