Friday, January 05, 2007

baby's got bling

My sister and I are a good pair. Her fashion designer's eye can spot "cute" a mile away...and Sarah is often the beneficiary of whatever "cute" Aunt May May finds. Which makes my camera happy. Very, very happy. Take, for instance, this hip, structured jacket for Sarah. Meghan bought the rest of the semi-hideous outfit just to get this PERFECT jacket on Sarah's little body. I sure do love a mind that thinks like that!

I thought the jacket could speak for itself...the Pigbear thought it needed a little extra bling...


I've been getting lots of questions lately about a range of things: photography, baby gap, baby signing, etc. Inquiring minds want to know, right? Well, I wouldn't be keeping this blog if I didn't want to share information so if you have a question, ask it here and I'll do my best to answer everything in my next post.
I'll start with Julie's question about the light in my house: Yes, we are blessed with good light. Lots of big windows, lots of sunshine here in CO (as Amy pointed out) and lots of snow to reflect the light back up. I do still have to "find" the good light at times though. I've spent a lot of time staring at these big ol' windows and trying to discern the right time and the right way to use them. I've also taken a lot of horrid photos that you guys never get to see! Today's photos were taken mainly in the doorway of our home. I read on someone else's blog that this was her favorite spot to photograph and I thought I'd try it. The light spills in but your subject is still shaded. By golly, I think I'm a believer!

15 comments:

Kellie Larsen said...

i love you pictures, you do have great light! congrats on the baby gap thing that is sweeet!

J.J. said...

yes super jealous of your light - i truly have to go in search! and that IS one sweet jacket! gotta love sarah's bling! baby gap's going to LOVE her!

~Kim said...

ADORABLE! That little Sarah...I can almost hear the giggles from here! That jacket is just too darn sweet.

~Kim

Anonymous said...

I was thinking the other day that I can't remember what camera you use....you're a canon girl right??

Anonymous said...

CUTEEEEEEE! jacket! Plus that little girl in the jackdt is just too adorable. Gina

Audrey said...

I definitely need to really push myself to "find the light." These shots are absolutely adorable....I have horrendous lighting in my house so I'm thankful for my studio lights when it's too cold to do anything outside!!! You're so very talented.

Anonymous said...

It's so crazy that as I was looking at your pics I was thinking I really need to email her and ask her questions...You so read my mind. OK, so I'll try not to overwhelm you, but I soooooo, want my pics to look like yours, and you opened the forum for ?'s. 1. hat camera do you have?
2. what lenses would you recommend?
3. any special training in photography?
4. where to start with trying to figure it all out...like how to get pics just right. how to use manual settings, which manual settings when, etc....?
And not photo related..
How on earth do you keep your house sooooooo, clean.

Megan said...

Man she is so cute!

Dave said...

Oh my Gosh! Sarah makes that jacket even cuter than I imagined...I am SOOO excited! I second the clean house comment!

A.K. said...

look at pigbear practicing for her big photo shoot! sooo excited!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I just recently found your site, and I"m so happy Sarah won... she's adorable and your pictures capture her so well. I second the questions from tasha. I'm mom of a 5 month-old, and I take about 300 pics of my little one a week, and I'd LOVE to get some pointers so that I can get these wonderful months recorded for posterity. Feel free to email me too! amorse (at) mikalix (dot) com

A.K. said...

ok so i'm back for post number 2 but did you realize how much she looks like you in these pictures?! her face with the one in your profile picture looks the same!!!

Eden said...

I just got back from vacation and was SO excited to see that Sarah won!!! Congrats big time! I cannot wait to see her little face everywhere!:D

Jaidean said...

Adorable jacket! I have one question - what lens are you using for the shots inside your home?