Wednesday, March 22, 2006

blessings

Last night I fell asleep in awe of the blessings of God. Of course, I usually do this when I think about sweet Sarah but last night I was thanking God for the wonderful friends in my book club. What a wonderful group of women - Liz, Samantha, Jodi, Jennifer, Brandy, Gina, Amy, Susie - when we're together I feel honored to be among you. Our discussions last night veered from the typical path (we all know what that usually is...and it's NOT the book!) and instead we delved into some deep spiritual issues. You certainly know you're comfortable and loved when you can be so open and honest with each other about such personal things. Liz, I really feel that God guided your hand as you put this group together and I am so thankful to you (and HIM!) for that! Now, enough gushing.

Brandy, I thought about posting your belly shot on the blog but didn't want you to be too embarassed.

Here's the recipe you ladies were calling for last night...

Potluck Potato Casserole

The crunchy topping on this side-dish casserole gives way to a cheesy interior, resulting in a comfort food winner. A bonus with this dish is that you can make the casserole ahead--assemble and refrigerate it until time to bake. Sprinkle the cornflakes over the casserole just before baking.
1 1/2 cups fat-free sour cream
1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) finely shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons minced fresh onion
5 teaspoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper1 (30-ounce) package frozen hash browns, thawed (such as Ore-Ida)1 (10.75-ounce) can reduced-fat cream of chicken soup (such as Campbell's Healthy Request)
Cooking spray
1 cup coarsely crushed cornflakes
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Preheat oven to 350°.
Combine first 10 ingredients in a large bowl; spread evenly into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle cornflakes over potato mixture.
Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until bubbly. Sprinkle with fresh parsley. Yield: 10 servings

NUTRITION PER SERVINGCALORIES 194(30% from fat); FAT 6.4g (sat 3.7g,mono 1.8g,poly 0.4g); PROTEIN 7.9g; CHOLESTEROL 21mg; CALCIUM 166mg; SODIUM 283mg; FIBER 1.5g; IRON 1.5mg; CARBOHYDRATE 27.1g

And some recommended reading that we discussed last night...
If God is Love by Phillip Gulley
If Grace is True by Phillip Gulley
A Serious Way of Wondering by Reynolds Price

And, of course, no post would be complete without a picture of the Pigbear and her sidekick...


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHO is that beautiful baby with Sarah? I have truly never seen such a sweet little girl . . .

Anonymous said...

Erin, Can't believe it was 10:45pm when we got home last night. The night went so fast. After our talks last night I really got to think about faith, religion, spirituality, relationships, traditions, family, and friends. Whew.... Book club and everyone in it (Jodi too) sure are wonderful.

On another note, Sarah and Caroline sure have gotten big and are both soooo beautiful. Is summer here yet, I gotta get me another baby! Gina :)

Anonymous said...

Ok, after hearing about the lack of comments, we are all on here for you! Nice one, Samantha....lol

Our book club is such an open, non-judgemental group it is hard to describe us to others. It is our time to totally be ourselves, and be loved in spite of it!

I'll miss you all so much when I move - what a sad, sad day that will be. Someone had better announce they are pregnant!

~Susie

J.J. said...

so glad you have such a lovely group there!!! it makes all the difference...and those babes are sTUNNING!

Anonymous said...

Everytime I get sappy about book club, I think of the finale of S&TC where Carrie is about to leave for Paris and tells the girls at her farewell dinner, "I just keep thinking, what if I had never met you?" Enough said.
Liz

Baby Girl #1:
Daddy opened the phone book while I was telling him this really funny story...
Baby Girl #2:
Oh no he di-in't!